New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which press?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rock Chucker that's 5 years old. Problem is with me loading the 7 STW and 470 nitro. It just isn't big enough. So I've been looking at the RC Supreme, Lyman OC 2, RCBS ammo master and its Hornady counter part.

The Ammo Master and the Hornady are suppose to have a 5" opening from the top of the ram to bottom of the top piece.

The RC Supreme is 4 1/4". Haven't seen a Lyman OC2 to measure from top of ram up.

Have any of you fellas using the RCBS Ammo-Master or the Hornady like it found any consintric problems?

I have done searches on here but couldn't find exactly the info I was loking for.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AmmoMaster is about 5.5 inches from a
shellholder to the bottom of top plate.
With BMG or 20 mm holder in place of regular
shellholder top it is 6 in.If you get bmg kit you will have long rods and another inch.
THe Lee Classic Cast press is a good big one
for the dollar and will handle bmg also, but
not quite as tall of opening as ammomaster.Just got a Lee for 60 bucks plus shipping.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outlaw:
I've got an RCBS Ammomaster that I bought to reload my .45-3 1/4 Sharps. It does fine. I note in the Hornaday manual your .470 has a case length of 3 1/4" so I'd say that it would work fine.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue you have in that I recently purchased a 470 NE. I had no problem with my larger case (378 cases) Weatherby's with my Forester Co-Ax...which I consider to be the best press I have ever used.

I was most interested in the Ammo Master as this seemed to be the most recommended press by others here. I could not find one at a reasonable price set up for 7/8" Dies...So I ordered a RCBS Supreme...which works just fine for the 470 NE...I finally found an Ammo Master at a good price from Graf & Sons..who also had the dies at a good price...

I ended up keeping the Ammo Master and sending the RCBS Supreme back...either press will work with the 470 NE....

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I started w/ a RCBS Jr. press. When I got into loner rounds like the .45-120 Sharps & H&H length rounds, I bought an AmmoMaster. Great press, but I would probably go w/ the new RC today.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for the responces. I have a trade pending which would mean getting rid of my RC2 press in exchage for a RC Supreme.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote