New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284 vs. 6.5-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking to start a new project. The 25-06 Ackley was a success and looking for a new challenge. Looking to build a long range shooter. Varmints and paper for fun but with all of my guns they gotta shoot game too. My question is 6.5-284 vs. 6.5-06? Which would you choose and why? How about Ackly versions of either? Feedback is always appreciated. Let me know what ya'll think.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of depends what action you want to build it on, short, intermediate, or long. For short and intermediate, the 6.5-284 is the way to go. For a long action, the 6.5-06 will do as well. Ballistically speaking, there really isn't a nickle's worth of differance between the two. I have a 6.5-06, 140 gr Sierra's @ 2950 fps, into 3/4" groups. This is a cheap sporter. On a more target accuracy oriented rifle I would expect better then that. FWIW - Dan

[ 11-16-2002, 02:05: Message edited by: dan belisle ]

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mauser 06 length action that I was thinking of using. Otherwise, I am flexible on what I buy to use. Can you seat the 140 grain bullets out far enough in a short action with the 6.5-284? Thanks, Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
I happen to be able to help out here. I have been using the 6.5/06 for the last 6 years now. I love it. I have taken 3 deer and 1 caribou with it. As far as which one would be best 6.5 06 or 284. Lets be practical first. I know what fun is that but for the sake of argument lets look at brass first. 06 is easy to form from 270. I make a single pass in a fl resizer then trim to length. Trimming is necessary because 270 is longer to start with. If you dont you will get high pressures if it chambers at all.
Last I heard the 284 stuff was hard to get but things might have changed since I last needed some for a buddy at work.
I use all kinds of bullets in mine from the 85 gr Sierria hp on to the 140 gr Nosler partition.
My favorite is the 100 gr BT. With 53 grs of H4350 I get excellent accuracy and about 3250 fps.

I guess I am partial but the 06 gets my vote.
Cliff

Posts: 34 | Location: Fortworth Texas | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some thoughts I would share. I have both. The 6.5/06 is on a model 70 (1950's) has a 27" douglas barrel and a beautiful custom made walnut stock. The long mag. allows 140 gr. bullets to be seated out and large doses of RL25. 6.5/284 is a 96mauser rechambered with barrel cut at 26" in a synthetic stock. We use the 100 gr. bullets in this one. Makes for a lightweight carry rifle in trucks and farm equip. The mag. is too short for 140 and longer bullets. Both are good shooters with lots of bullets available in each weight. Next to .35cal the 6.5 is my favourite.

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I have a 6.5-'06 built on a Remington M700 long action with a Shilen 9" twist barrel. The stock is a Macmillan, and it is pillar bedded. This is a half-minute rifle.

I shoot bullets from 120 grain weight up to 160 grains. I tried the 165 grain Barnes (Old Style) semi-spitzer, but stabilization was marginal for that length of bullet.

I make my brass from WW .25-'06 brass, and just neck it up. If you are concerned about having another rifle in 25-'06, one of the past posts on the 6.5-'06 has an outline of a clever way to remark the headstamp to from .25 to 6.5.

This is my Western deer rifle, but it is accurate enough for target work. I have been shooting this one since 1990.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason; I also have a 6.5-06 rifle, and I love it!
It is built on a push-feed M70 Winchester action which has been blueprinted. The barrel is a 26" Douglas Premium with a 10" twist. This rifle is a true one-holer with everything from the 85 gr Sierra right up to the various 139/140 grainers. [Big Grin] I always use 25-06 brass and neck it up since I have a couple each of 270's and 30-06's, but no 25-06. There are a couple of 6.5-284's around but unless you are using a shorter action, they provide no advantage that can be discerned. Regards, Eagleye. [Smile]

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, I think Caleath hit the nail on the head. The only advantage to the 6.5/284 in my book would be just to have something different.
But those same "differences" could and would cause you some logistical problems along the way.

A 6.5/06 is such an excellent cartridge an so easy and practical, I don't think I would consider anything else. I have not personally owned this cartridge but two very good friends did and I've hunted with them and used it quite a bit. It always impressed me as a gun that just WANTED to make long shots. We always saved the long difficult jackrabbit shots for the 6.5 when it was around and it always made them look easy. I know you would not be sorry with this choice.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagree w/ some of the comments just a bit. There really isn't much difference between the two, to be sure. If you are looking for "whomp" then go to the 6.5-06 imp. Yet, there is another advantage to the 6.5x284 beside it being a short action round (by the way, if that's important use a winchester short action because they will accomidate a 3.00" cartridge). The difference is accuracy!

The 6.5x284 rules at the target ranges! Even out to 1000 yds, everything else is in its shadow. Sure, we are talking quality rifles, but this is the same principle that has caused the WSM line to regularly produce factory guns (cheap guns!) that put 3 rounds near the .5 MOA mark! The short fat powder colum on the 6.5x284 in equal quality rifles, will almost always be a more accurate rifle and will shoot more loads, better than the 6.5-06. I don't know about you guys, but that appeals to me.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I have a 6.5-06 AI,I had it throated to shoot bullets in the 120-129 length.I was able to work up a load,with Nosler Partions,that shoot.406.Very happy with that for hunting.I chose this set up for the ease of getting 06 brass.Reforming is very simple.I use 25-06 brass,make one pass into the FL die,and I am ready to go to the range.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
Just like to add that 6.5-284 Brass is readily available at this time. I got some Hornady recently. Also I believe this case is getting a SAAMI approval. Not sure if this has occured as of this writing. Who knows you may be able to buy a factory gun in this cal. by this time next yr.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I am coming back in,
If you choose the short action route you are stuck with shooting the short lightweight bullets. Accurate as short ranges but when you stretch it out some the heavyweights are the rule. While I see why the short fat thing is all the rage. I just dont buy thats the only way to have an accurate firearm.
Here is the other point. While the 6.5/284 is popular and may get made into factory form, how long have we had the 30/06 based stuff. You will always have brass to make 6.5/06 from. I seriously doubt 270 will ever fall from acceptance and thats what I make mine from.
For the long distances I use the Hornady 140 gr A-max bullet. Its slow but deadly accurate.
I almost forgot. Thing to remember all 6.5 bullets are long for thier weight. Even the 120s take up alot of case capacity if used in a short action.
My vote is still 6.5/06
Cliff

Posts: 34 | Location: Fortworth Texas | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 6.5x55 sweede improved would be some thing diferent and be in the same cass as the 6.5-06 and the 6.5-284.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
then there are the "hawk" series of wildcats that maximizes the "06" case. then use a "06" case that you do not have a rifle chambered for as a safety factor.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
I have both, 6.5/284 and 6.5/06. Both my rifles are accurate but the 6.5/284 has proven more accurate over time. The only justifiable reason for the 6.5 is the availability of match grade bullets IMO. For hunting, there ain't a hoot of difference between the 6.5/06 and a regular ole .270. You can also buy .270 ammo over the counter if need be.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Anyone who has actually owned a 6.5-284 will tell you that while short and fat is desirable in target shooting, it does not make a good magazine cartridge. I have two 6.5-284s both are single shot. One is set up for 600 - 1,000 shooting with a 30" Krieger barrel and the other is a varmint gun in a 26" Krieger tube. There is no question that the cartridge design is inherently accurate and for single shot use, it is a great launching platform.

However, if I were to build a 6.5mm hunter where I intended to use the magazine (and be able to rely on it), I would select a 6.5 Swede or the 6.5-06. If I was not hung up on the 6.5, I would certainly consider a 270 Win. While it is true that the 6.5-284 is all the rage for LR target shooting, you don�t need a quarter MOA bench gun to kill a friggen deer at 150 yards. A 140gr bullet flopping along at 2900 fps will flatten any small to medium sized game. How you get there is largely immaterial as long as the cartridge design is functional. I would argue that the 6.5-284 and the .270 WSM are not ideal magazine fed hunting cartridges.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
I have a 6.5-284 built on an 03-A3 action. That's an 06 length action. I have NO feeding problems. accuracy is superb. I have a 6.5-06 built on a mauser 98 action. NO feeding problems there either. Accuracy is also superb. I load with 120 and 140 gr bullets in both. I have tried brass from Hornaday, Lapua and Norma. I like the Hornady brass best. Seems the necks are harder on the Lapua and Norma brass. I have a problem with case consentricity after sizing.