Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet bullet- powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
What are some favorite bullet-powder combos. you like for rifles "Ruger 77" is what I have.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lil'Gun seems to be one of the better powders for the Hornet. As far as bullets go, that seems to depend on the rifle. I've settled on 40gr VMax's. Good luck with your Ruger, you'll probably need it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
+1 on Lil'Gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lil' Gun is thw way to go.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lil Gun GO!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use 13 grains of Lil'Gun under a 35 grain V-Max in my CZ and 11 grains of Lil'Gun under the same bullet for my BSA Martini. Very accurate.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I used the same load as PJ with great success. I sold my Hornet before I got a chance to try this but many here on the forum suggest using pistol primers because the charge is so small. Supposedly that may rescue a load that shoots poorly otherwise.

I also think the Lee Collet die is the best for sizing the Hornet as it doesn't overwork the thin brass.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a ZKW465 1949 Brno, I used the Nosler 45gn and win 296.(10.3gns??). A fantastic little shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cz 527: sierra 45 gr .224 bullet 11 gr of W296 in rem case and rem primer and OAL of 1.71" shoots well in my rifle.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lil gun was made for a 410 shotgun, but was soo found out that it gave better accuracy and much more velocity in the hornet than anything else on the market. 200 FPS increase in velocity is not uncommon, and even moreso in a K hornet. Mine all seem to favor 40 gr noslers.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote