New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic scales and cold temperature
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First I want to say, what a wonderful website. I would never have imagined that I could find so much info in one place.
My question is, could cold temperature have a negative effect on electronic scales? In the winter it's probably in the upper 30's in my reloading area. I have the cheep RCBS scale and recently I started checking it with a set of RCBS 5-0-5 and found a variance of up to .6 grains. I change the batterie whan it starts screaming error, how long should they last?
One other quick question, how can i get rid of static electricity in my funnel while pouring charges?

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!
The cold can effect the life and efficiency of out put of batterys. You might have to go to a plug in scale, or see if one of the universal adapters would fit your scale. I have one that has several different "plug ins" including one for a regular 9V transistor radio battery. The voltage out put is adjusted on the transformer. I do not know if it would work on a scale.
You could always heat the loading area. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Dunno about the scale issue; I use a Pact model w/ that is not battery operated, so I can't help much there.

As far as the static build up, it's simple. Go raid your wife's laundry room for some anti-static cling dryer sheets. Rub down the powder funnel w/ one, and then sit your cases on one as you pour the powder. You may need to touch the sheet occasionally (should happen anyway as you are moving the cases) to discharge any charge that may be accumulating on yourself.

The expensive option would be to go get a dedicated electronics-grade anti-static mat for your workbench, and for your feet, and possibly the anti-static wristbands used when doing sensitive electronics work. Me, for reloading, I just use dryer sheets on the rare occasions it becomes a problem.

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. The thing about the static laundry sheets is great, simplicity is usually the best way to solve problems. I'm sure that I will have many questions in the future.

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote