Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case trimmers: Forster vs. Redding vs. Wilson
 Login/Join

posted
Been shopping around for a manual case trimmer, and it's down to these; prices and features seem about right, manufacturers have solid reputations.

They all seem to have their proponents. [Big Grin] So, have you used more than one these of case trimmers? If so, please weigh in.

Forster "Original" Case Trimmer:
http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/orig_trimmers.htm

Redding Model No. 1400 Case Trimmer:
http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/casetrim.html

Basic Wilson (note: the micrometer version is too rich for my blood):
http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RECTACWI&item=WTR&type=store

What features do you like?

Prefer one over the other? Why?

Is the case held firmly? Easy in/out?

Does it cut true and square?

Much obliged for taking the time to share your experience,
mib2000

Posts: 8 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, the Wilson tool is about as good as you can do. Most all others use a pilot running on the inside of the neck which I don't like. I have used several different brands, and nothing cuts as square as the Wilson. The only irritation of the Wilson is on wildcats you have to send your case to Wilson to have them make a shellholder. (but that still only takes about a week or so) If you want more speed, Sinclair sells an adapter to use with a power screwdriver, and it works great. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Wilson, and really like it. The case fits into a cylindrical holder with a tapered bore, sort of like an arbor with a Morse taper fitting into a lathe tailstock. This sits on two steel rails that hold it perfectly square to the cutter. The length is adjusted with a simple screw. It works like a charm, holds the set length exactly over time, and I can trim a hundred in no time if I get the rythym right. A good choice, IMHO.

Posts: 46 | Location: Maple Valley, WA | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Wilson, Forster, and RCBS.
The Wilson is as much better than the Forster as the Forster is better than the RCBS>

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are GOOD. [Smile] I knew I would not be disappointed posting this question here!

Thank you for the great replies so far. The guidance is very helpful.

Sounds like the Wilson is the way to go. Anyone else care to weigh in?

How about that Redding trimmer?

Much obliged,
mib2000

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
I have a Wilson, Forster, and RCBS.
The Wilson is as much better than the Forster as the Forster is better than the RCBS>

I have used all 3 of these trimmers, and Clark is exactly right!

The Forster is a great general purpose tool (hollowpointing, reaming, outside neck turning, deburring...) but for a trimmer only, the Wilson is the best I have used.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And you can chamfer and neck ream with the Wilson.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use the Wilson trimmer, after using the Lee system for a number of years. For the Wilson I also have the chamfering tool and the inside neck reamer. It works very well, giving med confidence in that everuthing is square and tru. Get the Sinclair mount for it though, or you get tired after a few hundred cases..

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Forster, the Lyman and the Lee system.

Forster
+: very universal (neck reaming and turning, hp), cuts to the length you need
-: need to buy mandrels extra, case holder sometimes slips off to different position which will ruin the case 100%

Lyman (very much like Redding and RCBS, I think)
+: pilots included, cuts to the length you need
-: does not center relyably

Lee
+: very handy, cheap, foolproof, takes no space (have it in my die case)
-: cuts to fixed length only

Don't know the Wilson - seems to be the best way to go - but I do not want to miss the Lee.

[ 04-08-2003, 16:23: Message edited by: waitaminit ]

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt WILSON

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Wilson trimmer will spoil you. It works like a lathe. I can't imagine using anything else now.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a Redding for years and believe it is the best of the conventional trimmers.

I acquired a Wilson about a year or so ago and ended up selling the Redding to a friend as I just did not use it anymore.

The Wilson really shines when trimming the long cases like the 375 H&H and the 378s.

I'm very glad the guys at Sinclair International talked me into one.

Regards,

Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's become abundantly clear that the Wilson case trimmer and a Sinclair stand is the way to go.

Hearing from folks who have used various tools and settled on the Wilson carries a lot of weight!

Much thanks to all who posted. I'm sure I'm not the only reloader (or potential reloader) to benefit from the sharing of your experience and expertise.

mib2000

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the RCBS trimmer with the 3-way cutter. It trims and inside/outside deburrs. Any of these other trimmers have that feature?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mib2000: Let my headaches, frustration and wasted time and money stand in for you regarding case trimmer selection! Nothing compares to the Wilson!I often buy them at pawn shops and estate sales etc and resell them at Gunshows. I have paid as little as $5.00 for them and resell them for $30.00+ depending on accessories!
Best performer out there by far is the Wilson!
Keep an eye out for a used one if money is a concern.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Wilson, I can,t say it's better than the others cause I haven't tried em, but I've used Wilson for so without complaint I can't imagine using anything else. I also use Wilson's neck turning tool, I use to twist hand turners till I had carpal tunnel, never again. I also swear by their in line dies, Wilson just makes good stuff!---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote