New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Powder Dispensers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have used the DPS 1200 for several years and been pretty happy. Yes it is not the easiest to clean but it is not that hard to clean out. It has been fast enough and accurate enough for me until a couple weeks ago when it would no longer stay calibrated.

So I sent it back and was told that it is no longer repairable due to it's age but for $150 they would be glad to ship me the latest DPS1200 III model.

I have read reviews and it appears that they still don't have the calibration issue fixed with the new model and some of the same minor issues with the old unit remain.

So I am thinking go with another unit. Of course RCBS's unit gets the best reviews but it is also the most expensive by far.

Hornaday's gets good marks but has not been out as long so does not have as many reviews.

Question:
That all said who has any of these units and how do you rate them. What one would you buy?

Choices:
RCBS
Hornady
Lyman

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd vote none of the above since I haven't used them. I use the PACT Dispenser Scale combo.
I load my Service Rifle match ammo with it for 200 to 600 yards. One of the things I like is I can use the scale seperately also. It is also very easy to empty, just put you finger over the powder spouts and pour back into the powder jug.

http://www.pact.com/index.php?...iew&id=14&Itemid=126

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted Lyman because I've gotten trouble free service from mine. And too, if I could get a new one for about half of what a RCBS cost, I'd be all over it. I don't know but I doubt that there is $150 difference between a new Lyman and a RCBS.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I've got the initial Lyman DPS 1200 series.

Reason is tha Lyman is ALWAYS the first to come out with 220 volt equipment; which of course is required here in The Fatherland. I could use a 220/110volt step-down transformer but that simply adds more cost and another step betweeen point A & B. Ugh!

Two years ago I purchased their "Upgrade" package and liked the concept but ended up re-installing the original pan & tube since it would simply not work w/the new Bits & Pieces (WTF-Over? Now I'm out another $36.00).

My buddy has an RCBS which (as always) takes them several years to get a 220 volt model on the market. He is completely satisfied. He also paid alot more than I did for the Lyman. Would the cost difference between the 2 pay for itself - Nah, O.K. my choice was based on 220 volt & cost but I received the Lyman years prior to RCBS' 220 voltage model being available.

Having said all that the Lyman unit was expensive enough as is ($236.00 IIRC). Does it do what I want it to do? Yes.

It was VERY sensitive to drafts, frequency produced by nearby florescent lamps or elecrical motors operating close-by (Mrs. Gerry's 2nd Refrigerator & Freezer) and the offending floursescent lamps have been changed to to light bulbs.

I finally have it located in the correct spot, reduced the external influences and it is operating to my satisfaction.

Funny, though since I reload in my basement room of a multi-family (4 apartments) dwelling I cannot influence the Freezer my neighbor operates nor does the land-line telephone extend to the basement, so I take my Cell Phone down w/me. I can tell before the phone rings that someone is calling as the "Cal" alarm goes off prior to the Cell Phone's ring tone!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use two of the old Lyman Autoscales and two of the 1200 DPS. I keep a single powder that I frequently use in each, thus I don't have to worry about changing powders. I also use a Lyman 1500 Electronic Scale for new powders I am experimenting with. I have never had that first problem with any of them. I shoot year round three days a week weather permitting and enjoy every minute of it. Good shooting

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I must admit the price, warranty and fact it is made here in the US is making the PACT look like what I will replace my Lyman with. Thanks folks for your comments.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PACT ! ! ! I have had my pact since they first came out. Never had a problem with it. Besides it is made in the USA not in China
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
Well I must admit the price, warranty and fact it is made here in the US is making the PACT look like what I will replace my Lyman with. Thanks folks for your comments.

I had a Pact, and if you wish to load any amount of ball powder, forget it. I was trying to use Win 748 and now matter what I did it would not calibrate. Said right in the manual that it has trouble with ball powder, FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I voted Lyman because I've gotten trouble free service from mine. And too, if I could get a new one for about half of what a RCBS cost, I'd be all over it. I don't know but I doubt that there is $150 difference between a new Lyman and a RCBS.

Ditto. Have used mine(1200III) now for 3 years. Not one moments trouble. Have not used any of the others so cannot comment. Some argue that the Lyman is to slow? For me loading 270 and 338 by the time I have seated the bullet the next charge of approx. 70gr is almost ready. Loading 9mm para I cannot keep up.

In RSA we pay between $800 and $900 for RCBS when available. Lyman less than 1/2. Worth it!!!

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any problems with H335. I also load with Varget and RL 15. All 3 load about at the same for me. I won't speak for other ball powders.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I haven't had any problems with H335. I also load with Varget and RL 15. All 3 load about at the same for me. I won't speak for other ball powders.

No problems with our ball powders, although only used S361.

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman. I've just gone back to a manual LEE thrower. Since I weigh every thrown change on a beam scale just for consistency. I throw the charge just under and trickle it to match.

It's much faster with the LEE manual thrower!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One trick I have learned. It seems certain powder weights I punch in just won't meter correctly. As the correct weight comes up, it will make another little boost and go over the charge weight. If it is consistantly doing that, I will set the dispenser to throw a charge that is 1 or 2 10ths below what I want and when the dispenser stops, I'll tap the powder "snout" lightly with a pencil and that will shake out a few more powder grains to bring the charge up to snuff.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the RCBS, but I've never owned the others.

I'm happy with mine, although I could suggest some modifications to RCBS Wink

A friend had a DPMS that gave out on him and he's switched to RCBS and he is happy.

I can't imagine going back to a balance beam scale, even if they are apparently a little superior...

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Another happy RCBS Camper checking in. Haven't tried any others though and don't plan on it. Wouldn't mind buying another just to have as a spare I like it that much Cool Has operated flawlessly for several years. Always calibrate and let warm up a few minutes, and always shut down and unplug when not in use. I'm careful around it but have noticed no outside influences from power, lights, etc. I keep it in a no draft area.

P.S. Gerry, RCBS has a 220v power adapter they gave me for free just for asking . . . works great, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do all the "manufacturers" you mention send their units for recalibration and repair? Who originated the scale dispenser combo? Which one is the most trouble free and the customer service best? I won't say, but the one I use after considering all the above has the initials PACT.

There is always going to be some error involved in a process like dropping various types of powders of various weights from one unit. After having had the opportunity a few years back to try PACT and RCBS and see the Lyman in operation I chose the PACT to buy. If you want to drop a charge of powder within .1 grain +/- I found the PACT to be the fastest unit at the time and way ahead of the old balance beam/trickler combo. Still, if your desired tolerances are wider than .1 +/- grain you might not see a great advantage over the micrometer equipped volumetric measures.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote