New
Find
Notify
Tools

300RUM and Re22
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
Guys, just got back from the range. I had loaded 180g Trophy Bonded Bearclaws and 86g-90g of Reloader 22 and 215M primers. Shot 5 of the 86's with no problems at all besides accuracy sucked. Then shot 3 of the 87's with no problems either. Then on the last 87g, I had a stuck case. After getting case out, there was no primer pressure signs or brass pressure signs. So I shot one 88g, (i know, I shouldn't have done that). Well, it was stuck also with no primer pressure signs. I have loaded in the past with H1000 well past the max 96g with no cases stuck. I am kinda surprised, that Re22 would start to be over at 87g. Have any of you guys had simular expeiences with this load or Re22? Guess its time to get out the kinetic hammer. Thanks,

BC

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I've found 88.7 grains, with a WLR primer, to be absolute max in the guns I have reloaded for.

But I have found AA-8700 to be the best powder also...

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
88.5 IMR 7828 with 215 br and 180 Scirocco. 3265 fps and under 1" at 200 yds.
Rem BDL LSS stock.

This is my work load.

------------------
"Hope for the best.....Expect the worst!"

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
FWIW--quickload got fooled by this--it was predicting 60,000 psi. To stick a case I'd think you'd have to be over 70K. IT seems strange--expecially remembering when Saeed tested the rum a year or two back. He was doing loads that quickload thought were well above 70,000 and getting away with it.
I guess that's why we have to approach "max" carefully. Maybe interesting to do a search and see if you could dig up some of saeeds loads for comparison.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Check the lot # on your can of RL22. If it is lot #25083, that explains your problem. This particular lot number has been recalled, and produces much higher than normal pressures even at loads below normal maximum. Alliant will send you a replacement can if that is what you have.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found RL22 quite unpredictable from lot to lot in the last few years. My 300RUM found RL22 too fast for 180gr. Try RL25 this has been THE powder for this combination. I have tried most everything else H1000,H870,H4831,Rl22,RL25,vit165 and RL25 has been superior.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Thanks guys, only reason not moving to Re25, is some guy over at Sierra, Rich, convinced me they have major fouling with Re25 for some reason compared to all other powders. He can't explain why. He said they have changed the formula a little in the last year. Probably a bunch of horsecrap, but it kinda steered me away. You know, I didn't think of this but that 90g data from alliant is for 180Noslers and they recommend Re25 for Barnes and A-Frames. Do you think that these Bearclaws act as a Barnes or A-Frame because of there copper shank? That might explain it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You really should stick to RL-25 regardless of the fouling if you get the velocity, and accuracy. I will almost bet you that Plain ole H4831 will be even more dirty than RL25. RL-25 is a very good powder for the overbore's..If I were you I would call Graf"s, and order some MRP2..It is a bit slower than RL25, and seems to sing in the overbores. That is why Norma made it..Some people say it is the same powder, but Norma puts a proprietary coating on it, so it changes the chemistry somewhat.I have 5lbs of it, and if I could get it to you without getting in trouble I would let you try it.

[This message has been edited by LeeC (edited 04-09-2002).]

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Taylor>
posted
Yes if you can get Mrp-2 from Norma try it
i use it in my 300rum and it really rocks!
99gr with a 165gr bullet

<bigcountry>
posted
Don K, thats why I am a little puzzled. If you look at Saeeds data, he went all the way up to 94g of Re22 with Barnes X!! I know that trophy's don't build anymore pressure than barnes, do they? Goes to show, every gun is totally different and should be reloaded for differently. I guess what works for one guy might not for another.