New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 special reloading data
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I´ve just begun reloading my S&W 29-6, and wonder if there´s somebody who could help me with data for a Lee .429-240-2R suitable for targetshooting (25-50 yards)?
I use wheelwehights for the bullets, and, there´s a big BUT - I can only get Vihtavouri powder (fairly) easily. Same thing with the primers - only CCI available where I live.
I have Norma´s Reloading Manual (No pistol data/powder), Richard Lee´s "Modern Reloading", 1996 and Vihtavouri´s 60 p. sheet from 2004, but none of them gives data for this combination of bullet/powder.
How dangerous is it, by the way, to reduce data from a "similar" bullet by say 25% and then develop your load in a proper manner? A salesman of loading equipment told me that smaller amounts than 5 grains pistol powder could lead to similar problems as with reduced loads of slow powders suitable for magnum rifle cartidges.
Perhaps I should have presented these two questions as two different subjects in the forum? Confused
Well ... I´d be grateful if somebody could help!

Posts: 9 | Location: South Sweden | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You should be able to sub a starting load for a similar component combination (same bullet type, wgt and composition)with the same powder. Don`t start at the high end of the data and watch for pressure signs. I would check a Lyman maual for loads with VV powders and their 240gr lead .429" dia bullet and use that data for a begining load or something similar. A call to VV might get you a starting load that they haven`t published yet.
Don`t mix data for Jacketed bullets with a lead bullet. They do react differently at times and may or may not swap safely.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Joe
I´m able to get Lymans manual fairly easy and I will.
The Fin´s couldn't help me with a 240 grain cast bullet.

Posts: 9 | Location: South Sweden | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arvenis,
You can Google Vihtavouri and find their web site with reloading data for Cowboy Action and other pistol. This data I took from their cowboy data:

Starline Brass, FC Mag Primers, Hunter Bullets, and a roll crimp. Bullet was 240gr and .430"

N320 3.9-4.4gr velocity 622-689fps

N330 4.6-5.2gr velocity 631-717fps

These are 44 Special Loads and should work well in the Mod29 S&W. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Cast bullets will give lower pressures and higher velocities than jacketed bullets of the same weight and with the same powder charge. So, if you find something close to what you want in the jacketed load data, it will serve you as a starting point for your cast bullets.

As always, reduce 5% and work your way up. Cronograph if you can for accual velocity.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote