Find
Notify
Tools

Dirty bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted
Due to carelessness on my part my dog got hold of a plastic container of .358 wadcutters and spread them around the patio for me. About 300 pieces or so.

Because of the sticky lube they are covered with dirt, dust and other gritty substances.

They are not the hardest cast bullets I've used but I keep them at modest 38 special velocites.

My question is; what would others around here do with them? Clean the lube off and tumble them and then use them, or offer them as a gift to the guy I buy cast bullets from?

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever but I don't think I'd be shooting them down the barrel of any of my guns.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Since there are so many,clean them in boiling water and soap or with acetone.
If you do not have a lubasizer you can use LEE Alox and "shake" lube the bullets. They should work just fine.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Being Scottish, I never throw anything away so I would wash the dirt off and use them. People with money would trash them.

Posts: 17264 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I was thinking I would scrap them but I'll try a few of the methods here first. Not too much effort required.

I cleaned them off using mineral spirits. There is still a bit a dirt in the lube grooves so I will try to boil them and get them completely clean. I examined them closely and there is nothing impacted into the lead itself. If they look good I'll see about giving them the LEE ALOX treatment.

Seems like a lot of trouble for $20-$30 worth of slugs, but if I can get a couple hours of plinking out of it, I'll take it.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
throw them in the casting pot and make new ones would be a good use.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote