New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 Improved
 Login/Join

<HammerMan>
posted
I am looking for case dimensions for the 6.5-06 Ackley Improved. Anyone have a source short of buying a book?

one of us
posted Hide Post
HammerMan,

Welcome to the forum.

As this is a wildcat, I do not think there is any specific measurements to it. Some are based on teh 30-06 case, and some are on the 280 Remington case. The 280 is slightly longer.

Also, I think there are at least two differnt versions when it comes to shoulder angle.

------------------

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
HammerMan. My riflesmith gave me one case each of 6,5-06 and 6,5-06 AI. The necking down of the 30-06 case to 6,5mm moves the neck-shoulder juntion about 0.09" forward. From this point the new shoulder of 40� is formed in the fireforming process. At this point the shoulder is .454" wide.

It�s a beautiful cartridge. The customers who have tried it are very satisfied with the performance and accuracy. It just might be as good as it�s ballistical equivalent, the popular 6,5-284.

I made a 30-6,5-06 AI with the same reamer and get roughly 8% larger usable watervolume in the cases. Take care. AKI

<Patrick>
posted
Good morning, I just rec'd a .264 Hawk from Fred Zeglin at Z-Hat. This is a version of a 6.5-06 Improved, closer to the .280 or 9.3 necked down. Fred has brass available for the Hawk. You may want to check his web site. I can't say enough about the cartridge or the rifle Fred made for me. Good shooting

<Doc Garnett>
posted
Patrick --
Please tell us about your rifle and the .264 Hawk. What is the bbl length, contour and twist? What action did you/Zeglin use? Ballistics of the Hawk? Accuracy? You can't be too detailed for me, if it's not too much trouble.
Thanks --
-- Doc

<Patrick>
posted
Good morning, I can give you a little information at a time. This is a first custom rifle project. The action is from a Brno built mauser, VG-24, I ID'd a source in Shotgun News, Zeglin ordered and inspected the rifle. He did the customary cleanup on military mauser; squared the action and bolt face, lapped the lugs, ground off the rise at the stripper clip guide, welded on a bolt handle and drilled and tapped for scope. I spec'd the safety,(old right hand low rise style), trigger (Timney), bolt handle and floor plate release extension. The barrel is Douglas, 24 inches, I don't know the tapper, call it sporter though and not sure of the twist; will measure it. Fred chambered and mounted it. He then sent the barreled action out for polishing and blueing. The stock is Rimrock, Fred rec'd it unfinished for inletting, and returned it for finishing.
Overall, very happy with the product. We stayed on budget, approx $1,500, but went a month or two long on time. The bolt handle, that I spec'd, is causing a little grief with scope clearance and I may have it relived a little locally, live and learn. In a couple weeks I will start working up loads seriously. Elk season has interrupted the process. It's clear that for 140 grain partitions, I'll have to lengthen the throat a bit, again a local item. The Z-hat web site has much info about the Hawk cartrides and some load/performance data about each. I'll be happy to share my experience, but it will be closer to Xmas before I'm complete. I will limit my work to Nosler 120 BT's and 140 Partitions for now. good shooting

<Don G>
posted
You can find a dimensional drawing here, under Rifle | Rimless | 6.5-06.

Clymer Reamers

HTH,
Don