THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why would a hot barrel shoot better than a cool barrel?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why would a hot barrel shoot better than a cool barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a light contoured Krieger barrel. it shoots OK when cool, about an inch or so. then if I let it get HOT, say bullets 3-6 in a sequence, it shoots three into half inch. then it opens up again to over 2 inches.

Did this with two different loads today, one a factory load, other a handload.

A wise guy at the range, told me to carry atorch when I go hunting, or just fire two quick ones into the air, then pull down on the intended target.

Obviously that wont work. Wondering if the stresses in the barrel could have something to do with this?

Its still a fairly new barrel, less than a hundred rounds.

I would thought it was fouling, but the fact that it went through the same cycle twice makes that unlikely. it is in a mcmillan stock, tight scope mounts, bedded, barrel floated.

Jamie

Any ideas?

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that the barrel is not in contact with the stock ?

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Could be that the later cartridges are heating up therefore raising the pressure enough to get to the better vibration node. Try kicking up the load a half grain at a time and see if that's it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by short44:
Are you sure that the barrel is not in contact with the stock ?

I am sure it is not in contact, as I slid a piece of paper.. perhaps I should try some forend pressure...

And I will up the load a touch to see what happens. I can go 2 more grains until max.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote