Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dillon 550 for 223?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
Here's what I do...be your own judge.....BTW I use a Dillon 650 with case feeder for the .223

I hate brass trimming so I only do it once for the lifetime of the brass.......and some don't like this but it's my loader and I'll do it my way!!!

1. Resize all the brass anyway you want
2. Trim the length to .03 under the book specs
3. Debrurr id and od
4. clean with a good solvent.....gasoline works too
5. Dry them completely.....I use a compressed air hose
6. Tumble them until shiny
7. Run them thru your Dillon reloader.

This is a lot of work but it only needs to be done once for the life of the brass. If I find the lengths creeping back to needing trimming again I dump the entire lot and find new cases. Usually they're about .04 each so not a big deal.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a 550 yesterday and would like to use it to load some bulk varmint rounds for the spring. I wanted input as to how I can do this the easiest. I was thinking of prepping the cases (resize, clean, trim) before loading w/ the Dillon. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Picture of Burgie
posted Hide Post
jrc that is the way I reload all my .223 brass, all the prep on a rcbs jr press, trim and tumble then run them in the dillon 550b. My 550B is about 15 years old and it has the springs on the two powder measures.

I have tried about five powders and keep going back to 748 for my .223 rem. loads. Good luck and if you need more help these guys here are great.