Notify
Tools

Warning about reloading question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted
I just read this on an ad for Lee dies;

•Warning: Do not use reloads in Glock or similar guns with chambers that do not fully support the cartridge due to the intrusion of the feed ramp.

I have a Springfield 40 cal XDM, will I have a problem?

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From time to time Lee has issues with other manufacturers. At one time they were in a piss fight with Federal over the shape of Federal's primer packaging which was not compatible with Lee's primer tray, so Lee issued a warning which implied that Federal primers were unsafe to use in the Lee priming tool. (By the way, I hated those Federal primer trays myself. Very user-unfriendly!)

Sounds to me as if Glock has done something that got under Lee's relatively thin PR skin. There is nothing about the Glock design which makes reloaded cartridges any more or less safe than factory loads (other than the fact that there is no way to monitor the consistency or safety of reloaded ammunition to begin with.)

Cartridge heads in most actions are unsupported. Ironically, the much-touted Remington 700-style "three rings of steel" is one of the worst in terms of lack of support for the cartridge head. Fortunately, cases are made with a thick head which withstands pressure within their design limits without any support.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee is saying- "we are not giving you any money for damages if a case ruptures" depending on how many times the brass has been reloaded and how "hot" the load, cases can and do rupture and with a pistol unlike a rifle there are not many warning signs.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Similar warnings for 40 S&W loads are common. IMR/Hodgdon includes such a warning about not using their load data in 40 S&W pistols without feed ramps. that support the cartridge case.

Here it is:

"This data is intended for use in firearms with barrels that fully support the cartridge in the chamber. Use of this data in firearms that do not fully support the cartridge may result in bulged cases, ruptured cases, case-head separation or other condition that may result in damage to the firearm and/or result in injury or death of the shooter and/or bystanders."

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at a Model 70 with its coned breech. Case head unsupported 360 degrees. Yet to see one come apart with ammo a lot hooter than the 40 S&W. (220 Swift, 264 WM, 270 WCF etc.)

One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted Hide Post
This was posted on another website, with the barrel on the left being unsupported.

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Glocks, esp .40 cal versions, have a reputation for blowing up.....google glock kaboom

the FN pistol in 45 also has its share of blowups (again, google it for pictures).

unsupported chambers are the #1 reason per the internet.

Likely LEE just doing some CYA

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pigmaster:
Look at a Model 70 with its coned breech. Case head unsupported 360 degrees. Yet to see one come apart with ammo a lot hooter than the 40 S&W. (220 Swift, 264 WM, 270 WCF etc.)

Seriously??? The amount of unsupported case on a rifle is far less than that of many auto pistols. In rifles that amount is typically les than .150" and this being the thickest part of the brass. In many auto pistols the case wall itself remains unsupported due to the feed ramp. This is usually the thinnest part of the case.

RugerNiner's pics illustrate this very nicely.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The handguns often have the feed ramp extended right up to the end of the solid head of the case. Some centerfire rifles have the case head unsupported for 360 degrees (except for single shots). However - the unsupported area never extends up to the end of the solid head.
The pressures of rifle rounds are too high for any unsupported case wall.
The famed 98 Mauser has .110" of case head unsupported for 360 degrees.

The design below is not too cool

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cartridge heads in most actions are unsupported. Ironically, the much-touted Remington 700-style "three rings of steel" is one of the worst in terms of lack of support for the cartridge head.

You make an interesting judgement that I've not seen or heard in some 40 years of experience with Reminton/Walker 721/700/40X actions. How do you support your claim?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I've seen enough .45 ACP brass with the trademark "Glock smile" to wonder just how safe reusing the brass would be, as the bulge is right through the thick part of the case.
Not that it'll bother me, as the Glock grip angle is too acute to suit my natural point of aim, so 1911's, Hi-Powers & CZ's will remain my choice.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny that probably millions of cops. soldiers and civilians use Glocks and the only source of "facts" on these blowups is the internet ........ you know the same place that features alien abductions, the President is an African, there is a secret society of rich old white men running the world, there are alien bodies in Area 51 ........ it all must be true, after all it's on the internet ..... right ?

I have run probably close to 1000 rounds of 9mm and 45 acp through my Glocks, reloaded those case on Lee dies with almost max loads and have yet to have a case failure. Maybe I'll meet the Cardiff giant when out on a "walkabout" , packing a Glock, and be able to end two legends at once.

Have to add this to my myth list:
-low number 03's blow up
-1910 Ross rifle bolts fly out
-M97 Winchester shoot their bolts through your head
-You can't kill an Elk with a 270 WCF
-Antelope require a 600 yard rifle
-Barnes bullets are inaccurate
-Damascus barrels are unsafe with smokeless powder
-The United States of America is a democracy

It's all on the internet so it's all correct ....... chuckle

one of us
posted Hide Post
The other issue with the internet is that no one looks at the age of the pages. All of the Glock kaboom pages, if you look closely, are over 10 years old. My CZ is less supported than my Glock. Look up Beretta slide cracks too. Same thing.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pigmaster:
Funny that probably millions of cops. soldiers and civilians use Glocks and the only source of "facts" on these blowups is the internet ........ you know the same place that features alien abductions, the President is an African, there is a secret society of rich old white men running the world, there are alien bodies in Area 51 ........ it all must be true, after all it's on the internet ..... right ?

I have run probably close to 1000 rounds of 9mm and 45 acp through my Glocks, reloaded those case on Lee dies with almost max loads and have yet to have a case failure. Maybe I'll meet the Cardiff giant when out on a "walkabout" , packing a Glock, and be able to end two legends at once.

Have to add this to my myth list:
-low number 03's blow up
-1910 Ross rifle bolts fly out
-M97 Winchester shoot their bolts through your head
-You can't kill an Elk with a 270 WCF
-Antelope require a 600 yard rifle
-Barnes bullets are inaccurate
-Damascus barrels are unsafe with smokeless powder
-The United States of America is a democracy

It's all on the internet so it's all correct ....... chuckle

Those millions of cops and soldiers do NOT shoot reloaded ammo. Neither do most civilians.
You have been banned from AR 7 or 8 times.
Don't you find that this post and your being banned kind of ironic. You are the AR version of bigfoot.

It simply boggles the mind why Lawrence Root (pigmaster/bumfarto/4barexpert/silverbullet/ 45-70shooter/artshaw, etc, ect...) feels compelled to continually circumvent the wishes of the Moderators, Admin. and/or Owner for him to be gone from a web sight where he is neither welcomed nor wanted.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may not hear about Glock and other blow-ups by police, etc. But, if you pick up enough of their factory-loaded once-fired cases, you will see some smilies.
My rule is: if you can clearly see the bulge, the case is ruined.
Corollary: if the case looks good but won't chamber, the use of a bulge buster is a good idea.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Yes, any pistol where the 6 o'clock portion of the chamber is not supporting the case can be a serious problem. While 9mm is not too much of a deal, the .40 sure is due to the higher pressures.
Look up pistol "Ka-Boom" on boob-tube and the internet and you will see Glocks failing.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote