New
Find
Notify
Tools

Round nose 7x57?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a round nose bullet for white tail deer and general hunting. A good all around bullet in the 140-165 gr range.

Thanks.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
154 grain Hornaday will fit the bill,if you can find any.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Sadly, the RN Cup and Core bullets are falling away. The industry isn't really "into" making and stocking lightly sold bullets anymore. As many threads here on AR lately prove, we are mesmerized by the wonder bullets performance and the companies are following our demand.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just looking for a long round nose bullets lighter than 175 gr. No want a classic looking bullet for a classic 7x57.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why do you want a round nose?; a spitzer 139 to 150 grain Hornady or Sierra will kill deer fast.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7x57 (an early G&H) loves 140 gr's and shoots nice groups with just a peep sight. Perfect for deer here in MI. So why RN's? Honestly, because they just look cool.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hawk Bullets makes what you want but why mess with success?

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really
People that shoot factory ammo for the most part don't even know what a monometal bullet is.

quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Sadly, the RN Cup and Core bullets are falling away. The industry isn't really "into" making and stocking lightly sold bullets anymore. As many threads here on AR lately prove, we are mesmerized by the wonder bullets performance and the companies are following our demand.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
SR4759, I don't remember mentioning Mono-metal bullets in my post, nor factory ammo. My comment was aimed at RN bullets for reloading that don't sell well, versus all the new technology, shapes, and construction. Supply equals Demand was the essence of it.
Doublegun,
http://www.armsandammo.com/pro...ail.php?prod=HRN2835
Says they have the bullet your asking about.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your post.
The altermative to a cup and core is what?
Monometal

I recently had a similar discussion about the heavy for caliber bullets dying out in 7mm.

Lean concepts in manufacturing and in inventory management causes both manufacturers and retailers to focus of the products with the highest number of inventory turns. However if the product is not moving fast at the manufacturer if often means a retailer has had it on the shelf for years. I have several thousand heavy 7mm bullets bought for cheap because of that. Those 154 and 175 grain bullets made by Hornady are usually found at gunshows.

quote:
SR4759, I don't remember mentioning Mono-metal bullets in my post, nor factory ammo. My comment was aimed at RN bullets for reloading that don't sell well, versus all the new technology, shapes, and construction. Supply equals Demand was the essence of it.
Doublegun,
http://www.armsandammo.com/pro...ail.php?prod=HRN2835
Says they have the bullet your asking about.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I would prefer to stay with what I meant versus what you might read and certainly not argue about it. I said: "Sadly, the RN Cup and Core bullets are falling away." The "RN" is important to the context of the sentence. "RN Cup and Core" are only a small portion of the "Cup and core" including bonded, plastic tips, boat tails, etc. still being made, not to mention Mono metals. Also "and the companies are following our demand." pretty much summarizes what you later re-state as "Lean concepts in manufacturing and in inventory management causes both manufacturers and retailers to focus of the products with the highest number of inventory turns."
See; no argument at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I counted 7 from different makers in the weight range you listed in my QL bullet list...I didn't check any of the "normal" suppliers like Midway, Midsouth, Cabela's, or Natchez for availability, that would be YOUR job, but I think RN's will be around for a while yet...you always have the cast lead bullets...custom bullet makers like Hawk and you can make them yourself with Corbin bullet making dies.

If your adamant about using a RN in your 7x57 then I would find a supply and buy them up.

There are LOTS of reasons for the increasing speed of the demise of RN's...as mentioned...and you can't hide from those facts...only find a solution and implement it.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
some guy's want the 175 rn because their rifle will shoot it well.
many of the old mausers and the Remington roling blocks come to mind right off.
they have a hard time grabbing rifling with anything shorter than that much bearing surface,
there's a reason why the 7x57 has a twist rate as fast as it does.
if the rifle get's all modern'd up it doesn't have any factory support ammo to live up to it's potential.
if it did then there'd be no reason for the 7-08, or the 280.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recall that after our dear leader began buying up ammo and the store shelves dried up that Hornady announced that they were going to suspend production of "certian" bullets until the shortage went away, and frankly I havent noticed any RN's in stores since then.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr, The Hornady 160 RN in 264 and the 220 RN in 308 are in my favorite column and neither can't be found. I did get lucky on some closeout on both from Distributors but I doubt they come back into "normal" production again. That to me means you can check two or three Internet sites and order all you want. It might mean something else to others.
You said, "dear leader" and yes the fact is that Politics matter though we often would prefer they don't. We have lost much freedom in the last decade and it appears we are headed towards losing more. The true nature of Big Government is Big control.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
The true nature of Big Government is Big control.

Amen to that. I assume that since you have been able to allocate some means that Hornady has their RN's back into production, at least to some degree. That is good news. tu2

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I think I just got the last stock shipped to normal distribution channels. All were "bulk" sales and not in Hornady boxes. Don't think they are back...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Hawk Bullets makes what you want but why mess with success?

Called Hawk last week and ordered 4-boxes of 140g and had them Friday. Really pleasant to deal with, could not have been easier. I'll break out my reloading set this week and get busy. Report to follow.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:
154 grain Hornaday will fit the bill,if you can find any.

tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doublegun:
I have an old box, 60 bullets of Hornady 154gr RN you can have for shipping cost. I think USPS is about 10.00. Not sure.Let me know.

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 721 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
Doublegun, I have some 154 grain Hornady RN 7mm bullets that I could part with. Shoot me a pm and we can talk about it.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote