New
Find
Notify
Tools

wPrimer Quality Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I currently load only handgun calibers and have been a long time loyal CCI primer user. Lately it seems CCI primers have been less than dependable which when you're shooting steel for a time score is not desirable. I might have 2 or 3 out of 100 that don’t fire.

Now admittedly the gun I have the most trouble with is a Ruger GP100 which I swapped out springs changing the main spring one step down from factory (which I feel anyone ought to get away with).

Does anyone have any input on this at all and I suppose one question I’d also like the answer to is, is there a primer that is more sensitive than the others making it less likely to misfire, especially under lighter main spring conditions.

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Federal primers are the ones that my gunsmith who did the action work on my revolvers stated to use. So far (5 years) I have not had problems with federal standard type LP or SP primers, but I have had what you describe with Winchester and CCI occasionally and Wolf and Magtech regularly.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
The Federal primers are the ones that my gunsmith who did the action work on my revolvers stated to use. So far (5 years) I have not had problems with federal standard type LP or SP primers, but I have had what you describe with Winchester and CCI occasionally and Wolf and Magtech regularly.

Dang I wish I knew that about 8 hours ago, to late now. Well next time.

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Defective primers seem to have become more common as of late.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

I'll say, first time in over 30 years I'm saying this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, in 35 +/- years of reloading the last couple years have had the only duds I can remember.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
in the world of pistol primers cci's have much harder cups and federals are the softest. not unusual for pistols not to function with cci and work fine with federals. most notable of these are the striker fired autos that have had the spring cut down to less the trigger pull.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc that's exactly what's happening to me.

Here's the good news, I woke up this morning and found an email in my inbox that there was a problem with the credit card information on my 10,000 CCI primer order. Knowing that one wouldn’t go through I changed the order to Federals...Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
buy a lottery ticket - quick Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like a Design Benefit which allows you to see if you are Flinching? Cool

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right and it does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am into my 3rd batch of 5k CCI's in the last 2 years and so far I have not had one fail to go bang (M&P, Sig). Our plate season is just starting up for the year, I hope I don't get to practice clearing jams!!
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
I am into my 3rd batch of 5k CCI's in the last 2 years and so far I have not had one fail to go bang (M&P, Sig). Our plate season is just starting up for the year, I hope I don't get to practice clearing jams!!
C.G.B.

Its good practice, first you know if you flinched then you get a time trial clear and reload. It doesn’t help put you in the top 3 though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never have so many been manufactured either , Kind of like Vehicles !!!.

The ONLY brand I've ever had a problem with and this was before many of you fired a weapon ,was CCi Pistol primers . Brand new out of the box , loaded my 44 Mag click click a couple of duds . Others were fine but out of every box of a hundred 2-3 duds .

I burned that lot of them up target shooting and used Winchester an Federal for hunting . Nothing like depending on your weapon and hearing CLICK ,CLICK! ,DUH , OH SHIT, AH , OH RUN RUN !!!.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Sounds like a Design Benefit which allows you to see if you are Flinching? Cool

A manufacturing flaw becomes a "Design Benefit". You'd make a great Presidental spokesperson. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding like a politician--sometimes a fail to fire can do just that--also shooting indoors-- I once told someone who knew better that I had no flash from my handguns--he said I was wrong and was just flinching--after shooting a few years indoors where the flash is a lot more evident--he was right--I learned this after having a few FTFs...........lo these many years ago

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote