Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic Tip 85 gr. pill
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
Any suggestions for a starting load in the .25-06 pushing the Nosler 85gr. bullet. I use IMR4350 for my present 100gr. reloading.

<MAKATAK>
posted
GOTO http://www.centerfirecentral.com/ They have a nice data base for reloading and 4 pages of 25-06 loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just played around for the first time with the 85 grain Nosler BT bullets.

First session was with two powders only; IMR 4831 and Reloder 19. Bullets were seated .005 from the lands. Rifle is a M700, floated barrel and Rifle Basix trigger at 12 ounces. Barrel is 24" with a 1-in-10. Temperatures were mid-sixties, wind was 20-30 mph with occasional 40 mph gusts, (typical Wyoming spring!).

WW brass, neck sized with Lee collet die, WW standard LR primers, distance-to-lands determined with Sinclair tools.

IMR 4831 @ 56.0 = 3430 fps avg., 45 fps SD.
No obvious pressure signs, .70" MOA

RE 19 @ 59.0 = 3645 fps avg., 45 fps SD.
Bolt starting to get stiffer. Primers and pockets OK, .80" MOA

It appears the two loads are revealing successive "sweet spots".

I started both of these loads 3-4 grains below the above figures and the groups started to shrink about halfway up the ladder.

My next session will include IMR 4350 and I will be pushing the 4831 a little more. Additionally, I'll be dropping the RE 19 back a bit until groups begin to open.

Let me know how your trials go.

Good shooting and be safe.

Regards,

~Holmes

[This message has been edited by Holmes (edited 04-17-2002).]

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 85 gr Ballistic tip in a 257AI. This might help 51.0gr W760,Fed 210 primer,Rem cases. This load will cut holes at 100yds from a 22inch barrel.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. Have loaded some 85 gr, but haven't had the chance to shoot them. Possibly Thursday if the rain holds off. I'm shooting a light barreled sporter and really like the versatillity of the caliber. Varmits in the off season and whitetails in the fall. Will post the results as soon as the shooting is complete.

------------------

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
DJM, What powder are you planning to burn in this load?

On another note pertaining to the original post. I have some problems [Confused] to correct with my 700 Mtn. rifle before I can give an assesment of the 85 gr NBT loads. Keep getting flyers, but should have the potential to bring the group to under .7" if a bedding job works the right magic. Holding groups under 1.2" with flyers, but not satisfied. Maybe I should spring for a Sendero and a good trigger. [Big Grin]

Holmes, Just picked up a bottle of Rel 19 and will start at 53 gr. with Rem. brass and CCI 200LR primer. Do you have any comments on the Sinclair measurement tool and the Basix Trigger?
Charles

[ 06-13-2002, 18:10: Message edited by: Quarter Round ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quarter Round:
Holmes, Just picked up a bottle of Rel 19 and will start at 53 gr. with Rem. brass and CCI 200LR primer. Do you have any comments on the Sinclair measurement tool and the Basix Trigger?
Charles

Greetings Quarter Round, et al,

The Sinclair OAL tool is my first such device. I have always used the smoked bullet in a snug neck method previously.

I had some concerns about consistency at the beginning and I called Sinclair and talked with the folks. They believe there is really no feasible manner in which to be absolutely certain how far off the lands you actually are. Too many variables, e.g., amount of pressure upon the projectile against the lands, variations in the bullets at the ogive, etc.

Sinclair feels that the measuring tools, when used in a consistent manner, will simply allow you to duplicate your dimensions once you find the sweet spot.

I've been using the Sinclair tool for several months now and really like it. Much of the appeal may be my predilection for gadgets, widgets, and anything else that will propagate data for my hand loading! Once I find the OAL the rifle likes, I take a measurement with the Sinclair comparator also for the data book. This way, if I lose my dummy cartridge, I can still duplicate the dimension from my records.

The Rifle Basix trigger has served me well. Installation was straightforward with no pins needing attention. After installation, I had some questions about adjusting the unit so I called the folks at Rifle Basix and they were friendly and helpful. I have increased the pull to 16 ounces as I was getting pin drop a little too easily at 12 ounces. I will be experimenting with the engagement adjustment to see if I can get back to 12 ounces with a field-safe firing pin. All in all, I am very satisfied.

I am, however, concerned about a poster in another thread here at AR regarding his experience with the same trigger. He reports poor finish and function in addition to less than courteous service. Hmmm....

I have several hundred rounds through my M700 since the trigger installation and no worries so far.

I'll be testing several new loads this weekend using the 85 BT and will report the results.

Last weekend I was whackin' the dogs and the weather was just wonderful, low 70s and the breeze was around 5 mph which is incredible in Wyoming! It was one of those days where I just couldn't miss. Dogs flyin' everywhere!

I started the day using an 1885 Winchester low wall .22LR with a tang sight and global front. Fun out to a hundred yards with the WW power points. When the dogs wise up to my rimfire, out comes the quarterbore. A Weaver V16 handles the visual, Stoney Point Stix keep the world steady, and I provide a hand brewed solution.

A feller havin' this much fun MUST be breakin' some kind of law! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Holmes, I'm afflicted with the same gadget bug, but what the hay gotta spend it on something. Looks like I'll go with the Sinclair tool because it does the job.

Will try my loads on groundhogs (woodchucks for the city folks) next week. The hay cutting is in full progress and gives us a chance to shoot over several fields for a few weeks until the grass becomes to tall. Not the amount of shooting you folks get on dogs, but still enjoyable day with a friend burning powder and scorching lead. [Cool]