Notify
Tools

Taper crimp v/s roll crimp on 10mm-40 S&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of slonebo
posted
hello,
new to reloading, im getting ready to buy a set of Hornady 10mm/40 dies. But thet dont have a taper crimp. can you use regular dies on theae cart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes most dies have a crimp feature built in.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slonebo:
hello,
new to reloading, im getting ready to buy a set of Hornady 10mm/40 dies. But thet dont have a taper crimp. can you use regular dies on theae cart.

Not sure what the exact questions is based on the thread title. Are you asking if you should use a taper crimp vs a roll crimp? If so, everything I have read states you need a taper crimp for this caliber b/c of the way headspace is measured. When I was looking at dies for this caliber I called the manufacturer (RCBS) and they have a crimp feature built in the seater die. Just call Hornady and ask!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Roll crimps are OK for revolvers (and frequently there are crimping grooves on revolver bullets), not for straight walled pistol cartridges which headspace off the rim.

You might invest in the Lee Factory Crimp rather than buying another seperate taper crimp die.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slonebo
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help, i was looking at hornady just for the fact they give 100 free bullets with purchase. but there taper crimp set will not be out until mid july. rcbs already has a set with the taper crim built in. do they have the same thread size as hornady dies

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slonebo:
thanks for the help, i was looking at hornady just for the fact they give 100 free bullets with purchase. but there taper crimp set will not be out until mid july. rcbs already has a set with the taper crim built in. do they have the same thread size as hornady dies

Yes.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote