Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use RE15 in the 30-06?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
Thinking about trying RE15 for in my 06 with 165-168grain Hornady SSTs and AMAXs, respectively. Have any of you folks tried this powder with the 165s?

I see Sierra has it for the "Hunting load" for their 165s, must be pretty good then. Thoughts? Thanks, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Ken Waters pet loads he found RE12 to be very accurate with the 165's. I've seen alot of data where they load Re12 within a grain of Re15 so they must have been virtual ballistic twins in certain cases. Maybe that's why they discontinued the RE12. Bottom line is if Re12 is a fast powder and accurate you certainly could find a sweet load with RE15 being slightly slower. It's just a matter of trying it.
BTW- I've found a sweet load with Re12 in 2 fussy .308s. They have some left in the gunshop on maintstreet over here if you might want to try that for some fun.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Don, Actually loaded some up today with 50grs. and the 165SST, they're for Dave Orth, you might know him. Has an '06 model 70 like mine. I'm thinking they should be very accurate. Jay

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
In Ken Waters pet loads he found RE12 to be very accurate with the 165's. I've seen alot of data where they load Re12 within a grain of Re15 so they must have been virtual ballistic twins in certain cases. Maybe that's why they discontinued the RE12. Bottom line is if Re12 is a fast powder and accurate you certainly could find a sweet load with RE15 being slightly slower. It's just a matter of trying it.
BTW- I've found a sweet load with Re12 in 2 fussy .308s. They have some left in the gunshop on maintstreet over here if you might want to try that for some fun.

RE15 is my powder of choice for the 308. thumb Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

I have used it... I like RL 15 over Rl 22 and Rl 19 normally... It does a good job and uses less powder to get close enough to the same results..

Accuracy with almost anything is commonplace with RL 15....as seems to be the case with all Reloader powders....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I have not tried R15 in the 06 I have used it extensivley in .308. My experience has been that it produces the highest velocities but not often the best accuracy. Current .308 hunting load is 165grn Partion over 46.5 grs of R15.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ned:
Although I have not tried R15 in the 06 I have used it extensivley in .308. My experience has been that it produces the highest velocities but not often the best accuracy. Current .308 hunting load is 165grn Partion over 46.5 grs of R15.

ned, Maybe you're using too much RE15, 45.5grs is about the absolute max for the 165s, that's the amount I use for 150s in the 308, (46.3grs. being the max). I'd be willing to bet if you dropped your charge down to 42.5-43grs. your accuracy would improve, if you haven't tried already, and you could still squeeze about 2700fps out of your rifle.

FWIW, The load I use for my 308 will put 3 shots under an inch. Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may well be right on accuracy. I tend to load to the hightest velocity against publish load max I can w/out pressure signs that will group under and inch or better for hunting. The Speer number 13 list 47 as the max for 165 .308 and 49 as the max for 150 grns pill in .308. Steve Pages ( http://stevespages.com/308_13_165.html ) also list R15 at 47 as the max. All other sources show a max a few grains less than this. In my Savage .308 I can't get near these levels w/out the bolt lift starting to feel a tad tight, in my .308 Featherweight with a PAC Nor tube I get no pressure signs at these levels with a a 150 @ 49 or a 165 @ 47.

Does that mean I'm not pushing the edge, heck no. Perhaps I better back off. Any and all comment are very much appreciated. Thanks for the input.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ned:
You may well be right on accuracy. I tend to load to the hightest velocity against publish load max I can w/out pressure signs that will group under and inch or better for hunting. The Speer number 13 list 47 as the max for 165 .308 and 49 as the max for 150 grns pill in .308. Steve Pages ( http://stevespages.com/308_13_165.html ) also list R15 at 47 as the max. All other sources show a max a few grains less than this. In my Savage .308 I can't get near these levels w/out the bolt lift starting to feel a tad tight, in my .308 Featherweight with a PAC Nor tube I get no pressure signs at these levels with a a 150 @ 49 or a 165 @ 47.

Does that mean I'm not pushing the edge, heck no. Perhaps I better back off. Any and all comment are very much appreciated. Thanks for the input.

ned, I'm getting my data from Alliant's manual. It says 45.5grs. is the max for 165 Sierra. Hornady has a max of 47.1grs. for the 150s, don't recall what Hornady gets for the 165s.

Hodgdon get 46grs. of Varget for a 168MK, Varget is very close to RE15 on the Burn rate chart.

As long as you're not getting any pressure signs, push that envelope. thumb Jay