Find
Notify
Tools

139gr. SST/7mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
I've been asked to load for another 7mm rem mag but he wants reduced recoil and still wants a long range killer. I've decided to start with a box of 139gr. SST's.

Has any one killed with this bullet out of a 7mag or something with simular velocity? I may also slow the bullet down a bit but we'll see what he says about some max loads first.

I've also considered ordering a box of 130gr. hot cores. I would think that they may blow up pretty good on a bone hit. Any info on these also would be nice.

Thanks in advance. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy shooting the 139 gr. SST's. I haven't used them on game, but they sure do shoot flat and in my 7mm RM's are very accurate. Check out our 7mm RM website for some loading data.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. I found it usefull.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 139 gr. was alway a dependable Caribou slayer out of my 7mm mag. The recoil in this round is a great dependant on the stock design. Going from a OEM Winchester stock t a Houge or HSPrecision stock makes a world of differences.

I always prefered the flat base as it seemed to be slightly mor accurate.

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm loading the flat base for my father out of his 280 and I'm getting sub moa. If this paticular 7mag does not like these SST's then I'm going to swap some for the flat bases. My old man would be interested in trying all sorts of bullets anyhow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We tried those 139 grain SST's in my dad's Remington 700BDL chambered for 7mm Rem Mag and they gave wonderfull little groups. We were anxious to try them on game.

Well, just a couple of days ago my dad shot a 200 pound wild hog sow with them and we were dissapointed.

The first shot was right on the shoulder at about 100 yards. It blew that shoulder all to hell but did not get inside to the vitals. The hog ran off into a bunch of brush and we had to use a dog to find it. The dog bayed it up and it was killed right away. Really poor penetration from that SST.

As a side note we used four different bullets on this hunt. Both Nosler Partitions and Sierra Pro Hunters of 180 grains from 300 magnums gave complete penetration and quickly dead hogs. Speer 225 grain boat tails from a 338 Win Mag also blew a shoulder all to hell and the hog ran and had to be shot again. And as mentioned, the SST did not penetrate well at all.

Nothing like actually shooting some game to see what a bullet will do.

If I wanted a light weight bullet for a 7mm Rem Mag I would take a hard look at the 140 grain Nosler Partition. I shoot the 160 grain version
in my 7mm Wby Mag and would not consider changing.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've used the 139gr Hornady out of my 7WBY with good results on deer and to a certain extent on hogs down here in the south. It does not surprise me at all however, on the SST's failure on a hog's shoulder. The 154gr would have been a better choice. If you stick with 140s, I'd go with the Nosler or A Frame. I've had great success with both. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boilerroom: I've used the 139SST in a 280 with great success. Very accurate and good terminal performance on several deer and hogs. I have used the 154SST in a 7Mag with similar success. Based on what I have read and seen, if you keep the velocity at about 3000 or less, the 139 should do fine. Push it to max 7Mag velocities and you amy be asking for trouble. But if your friend is looking for a low recoiling load and you can find a 3000 fps load for the 7Mag, he would have a pretty flat shooting, effective rig. Good luck, Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thaks guys. [Smile]

Olarmy

quote:
Based on what I have read and seen, if you keep the velocity at about 3000 or less, the 139 should do fine.
Thats what I'm planning on doing. Just hope we can find a accurate load with those velocities this close to the season. I happen to live 5 hours from him.

I loaded a box of 154gr. SST's in two 7mags a couple of months ago and couldnt come up with a suitable load. One of them just loves the flat base though. This may be the case with his rifle and the 139 SST. We'll see.