THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR-7383 powder in the 7.5 Swiss long rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted
There is much discussion of this powder on the internet. some of it could not be more wrong. Any powder in the wrong hands can be a dangerous thing.
After looking and finding that this powder can be used in anything from .223 on up, I had to try it out. My club bought 150 pounds of it and loaded up many of the surplus rifle calibers to try out. You use IMR-4064 data and reduce the load by 10%
My caliber was 7.5 Swiss.
Using a pulled M-80 Ball 147 grain bullet and a Lee crimp die I loaded up some once fired GP-11 brass and Berdan primers. 2,550 FPS with a low SD.
My bullet trap test showed that in my 1911 long rifle, the rifle had the best results using 46.5 grains of this powder.
At the range yesterday I set up a 300 meter steel 16x16" armored target.
From the prone the open sighted rifle shot a sub-MOA group of just under 2" of ten shots.
My members tried the rifle/load out and got the same results. Trying the load out to 600 yards proved no challenge.
This powder is sold by several vendors. It can be had for 10 bucks a pound delivered.
Many of the so-called experts have bad-mouthed this powder. It is obvious they never ignited a single kernel of it. If they had, they would have seen how accurate it can be.
H.P White Labs did many test before it was released to the public.
The powder was made for the .50 Spotter round. This is a much smaller case than the .50 BMG. The round had to be extremely accurate as it was used to sight in the 106mm Recoiless Rifle round.
Yeas ago I got to shoot a WWI German anti-tank "Mauser" rifle that was converted to shoot this round. It was very accurate at 1,000 yards.
Like all powders it has info you need to learn.
1.Do not compress this Triple-base powder.
2. It's a stick powder that is perforated. It is made to burn well. No magnum primers are needed.
3.Once you find the right load, don't go over it.
4. It is a long( think IMR-3031) stick powder. It will bind a volume powder dispenser as the others do. ( grain shear) My electronic dispenser has no problems with this powder.
Here's the really good data:
It is very clean burning
It is VERY accurate. I mean MOA or better is common out of a good rifle.
It can be used in .223 to .50 BMG.
I have loaded it in 17 calibers so far. All good results.
It is N O T a hot burning powder. Another internet lie. The triple base is MADE to burn cool. It will NOT increase bore erosion.
No flash. A great powder for night firing.
The third base is made from Bat Poop. It allows the powder to burn very consistently. SD's will be low.
It burns very cleanly. Bores and muzzle brakes stay clean. No BBQ grill mess.
It's cheap!
Velocities are very close to "normal" loads.
It is a NEW surplus powder, not pull down. It was released from storage for sale.
I have been reloading since 1964. Big time reloader for long range ( out to one mile) shooting.
If you have been reloading and have tried many of the powders out there,you need to try this powder. You will not be let down.
IMR-4064 data downloaded by 10% is a good place to start.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
http://www.cdvs.us/Search.aspx?k=RAD%2078l

NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Shows to be out of stock??

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
homer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Out of stock???

NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI would be willing to E-Mail those of you who want, a rather comprehensive report on7383, inaugerated here on AR about 5 or 6 years ago. This was done after personally shooting hundreds
of rounds in many calibers and collecting a lot of info from AR forum members and range buddies doing the same.
The main opposition to this effort seemed to be from suppliers trying to get rid of the stuff and might have had more regard for profit rather than safety. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerWill the member who requested the report contact me. I sent a lot of info but not the complete report. Sadly I lost your E-mail address. shockerroger

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Bartshe,
I would like that report too. Will PM you.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote