THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .357 Magnum Loads for recommendations for Lever Action

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 Magnum Loads for recommendations for Lever Action
 Login/Join

Picture of marquezlc
posted
I am looking for a good load for a Winchester 94 lever action. I will be using it for all around plinking and some small game hunting. I usually use 158. grain cast semi wadcutters when I reload .38 Special. It would be cool if I could stick to the same bullet. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H110 in my carbine for a 158jsp at 1850 kills will.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I use H110 in my carbine for a 158jsp at 1850 kills will.

tu2Great powder for a rifle but don't try it in a revolver!!The flame goes out and the bullets get stuck in the barrel. First hand experience. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bullet might not chamber because of the shoulder. My Marlin likes 14.0 grains 2400 with a 158 JSP bullet.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo L.:
That bullet might not chamber because of the shoulder. My Marlin likes 14.0 grains 2400 with a 158 JSP bullet.

Is that IMR 2400?

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's Alliant 2400.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Marlin really shoots well with Hornady's 158 gr. XTP-HP or FP using 13 grains of Accurate Arms #9 with a CCI 500 primer. The 2nd edition AA manual uses magnum primers but the 1st didn't.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like using 19.3 gr. of WW 680 or AA 1680 with 158 gr. jacketed bullets and small rifle primers. This produces low pressure and high velocity. Chronographed the load @ 1840-1860 fps in an 18"
barrel of a Marlin 1894.

Accuracy was acceptable for whacking pigs @ 50 yds. but terminal performance was impressive for that little round. Hollow point bullets must be slowed down to around 1400 fps. to be effective. 10 gr. of HS7 does this very accurately with small pistol mag. primers.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote