New
Find
Notify
Tools

270, 280, 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For game ranging from antelope to black bear, which would you recommend and why?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.308 Winchester. Broader selection of bullets than the .270 or the .280 and has an accuracy edge over all three. With .308 handloads you can easily surpass factory 30.06 loads.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

30-06 must be the best choice from antelope to black bear. Huge bullets selection from 110 gr to over 200 gr. Godd velocity even with heavy bullets. Very versatile. Very accurate and good for long distance shooting.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good lord...common sense has once again been thrown out the window. If the 308 can be loaded to the same level as a 30-06 then a 30-06 can be loaded to the same level as a 300 Win Mag. Of course we all know that is not the case. Can somebody get a plain jane average 308 to launch a hotly handloaded 180 grain bullet to 2900 FPS in a 22-23 inch barrel? Doubt it... Hornady off the shelf light mag 30-06 will do it...
There's nothing wrong with the 308 for any of the critters listed. And in the lighter weight bullets it is a very efficient cartridge. But that distinction ends when you get above the 165 grain bullet weight and the increased powder capacity of a 30-06 case begins to shine.
To answer the original question: Any of those cartridges will do but if you only have the ability/means to buy one rifle buy the -06. Its more versatile, ammo is widely available, and the selection of bullet weights and loaded cartridges in unsurpassed by a considerable margin. But any of the three will work and there isn't .05 difference between the ballistics of any of the 3 you listed. I've killed deer size game with all three with no discernable advantage in any caliber listed.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
If you use bullets in the 130-180 grain range in any one of these three cartridges, sight them in about 3" high @ 100 yards, and limit your shots to +- 300 yards or so, neither you nor anything you shoot will be able to tell any differene at all between these three rounds!! Any difference will be in your imagination only!! If you want differences, you'll have to go a lot bigger and smaller in both bullet diameters and case sizes before any significant differences arise. I base this assertion on many years of using .270", .284", and .308"-diameter rounds on a lot of different kinds of game animals!!

<Eagle Eye>
posted
As has been said, all three will work.

One point not mentioned here is recoil. The 30-06 approaches the upper limit of tollerance for many once a year hunters. Depending on the rifle, it can be 25 foot pounds with a 180 grain load. (Before the poison keystrokes start, remember I am talking about the everyday hunter's tollerance to recoil, not experienced shooters).

Anyway, the versatility argument is a non starter for the game you are talking about...270 ammo is readily available, will drop any of the animals you mentioned with ease, will shoot with a flatter tragectory than the old 30-06 (therefore better for long range shooting of antelope) and is easier on the shoulder. That usually means better accuracy as a bonus because the shooter isn't afraid of the rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If elk isn't on the menu,I'd take a .270. I hunt alot with the 30/06 but the .270 makes an excellant deer and antelope round and kills black bear well also.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is kind of like asking if it's better to be hung with a new rope or an old one.

For sure all three rifles will do fine. If absolutely FORCED to choose ONE of the three, I'd have to pick the /06 simply because none of them can compete with it's versatility.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:
.308 Winchester. Broader selection of bullets than the .270 or the .280 and has an accuracy edge over all three. With .308 handloads you can easily surpass factory 30.06 loads.

.308 what a joke! Go with the .270, in the field it is more accurate than the .308. Why you say? Because it has a flatter trajectory, and less winddrift, and more energy on target. Trying to shoot benchrest size groups is one thing, but hunting is another, and the .308 just doesn't measure up!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At any realistic range there is only enough difference in the three to get a lot of people splitting hairs over next to nothing. The old, tired argument about bullet selection in this diameter versus that is the biggest load of pooh argument ever typed in a magazine or thread, most people I know would do well to get one good load for their XYZ rifle and learn to shoot from field positions....You only need three bullets for any rifle..one for varmints, deer/antelope, and elk/bear and every diameter from 6MM up has those covered!!

My first rifle was a .270 and I love it!

The .280 is a .270 with Remington on the headstamp for people who don't like Winchesters...and the 30.06 is just a slower version of the other two!

Mike, my .02

------------------
Victory Through Superior Firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi there fellow Husker. No question. 30-06. Widest range of bullet weights/types of the calibers you listed..

Ready On The Right, I love my 270, but really, only three weights exist, 130,140,150, and I rarely have found a rifle that likes all three weights...If I had to use one gun for a range of species, I'd want the best selection of bullets and brands in order to find the best combo of accuracy and performance. You're right that folks ought to practice field shooting, but that's not a reason to limit yourself to 3 bullets--unless of course you can't discipline yourself to practice enough if there are too many bullet choices to load from.

In fact, I just picked up a Win. Model 70 featherweight in 30-06, new in box a Guns Unlimited in Omaha today for, GET THIS. $500! It was a one off closeout.

Roger

[This message has been edited by rogerinneb (edited 05-11-2002).]

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger i used to use 100,130, 150 in mine all shot well. I now have rifles so I don't really have to use only one rifle and I bet most others do to, that is why the more bullets for brand X argument don't appeal to me. Most of us probably find the one bullet for the one task we intend to handle with a particular rifle and use all the other possibilities as an excuse for "needing" another rifle.

Good deal on the Featherweight, I have often said that is the prettiest factory gun out there..

Mike

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270, having the 130,140, and 150 weights available, and in many different brands and type of bullet, has all the choice in bullets you would ever need. Why the theory that the 30-06 is a better choice because of this I just can't understand. Actually I just took a look at a catalog, and I see there are 90 and 110 grain bullets available for the 270 also. Not that it matters, because 130 is as light as you'd want to use for hunting. If I was picking between the three cartridges, I would make my decision based on how much recoil I could handle, and what weight bullet I wanted to use. If recoil isn't a problem for you, and you want to use 165 grain or heavier bullets, go with the 30-06. If you want less recoil, and don't think a bullet over 150 grains is necessary for what you'll be hunting, go with the 270. There is no sense in using a 30-06 with a bullet lighter than 165 grains. I don't think I'd choose the 280 just because the ammunition can be a little harder to find.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I would choose the 270, I have used all of them and for me the 270 comes out top.

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullets that correspond in .27 and .30 cals are 130gr/150gr, 140gr/165gr, 150gr/180gr....

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess by your name,that you are in fact from nebraska. Now if you are only going to hunt nebraska,you've pretty much thrown out elk hunting as a once in a lifetime draw although things might get better,the same goes for Bighorn sheep.So that leaves you with mule deer and whitetails,as the main animals.
Depending on where you're at in nebraska,say the panhandle,with the wide open sandhills, I'd take a .270 with 130gr bullets cranked out close to 3200fps and never have a problem out to 400 yards. You'll find .270 ammo in any hardware store,the same goes for the 30/06.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just gotta put in my two cents worth. I love the 280 but then the others are great too!
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every .270 I had, shot very well with any bullet from 90gr to 150gr, the .270 has been the least finicky caliber I've ever had!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSF- That has been my experience with mine and two of my buddys' .270's but thought we were all just lucky!!

Mike

------------------

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Ain't a nickles worth of difference twingst 'em.

Shoot something with any of them or any of a couple dozen other cartridges and it won't know the difference - and I'll bet you can't either.

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Politically correct isn't!

one of us
posted Hide Post
AAAAhhhhhh, go ahead and get the .280. Then you've got something a little different without going off the chart. Actually, among the choices, its like blondes, brunettes, and redheads. Everybody has a favorite but in the dark, they'd be hard to tell apart.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
NEBRASKA,
I wonder if this is a serious question, or an attempt to stir things up. If it's real, and you have anyone of the three, and your not looking for a reason to buy another rifle, you're all set. If you are looking for the reason and you have one, tell the wife you need the other two. when she gets upset, tell her you'll try too get by with just one and she'll be much easier to live with, unless she reads this.

------------------
BigBob

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSF1200:
Every .270 I had, shot very well with any bullet from 90gr to 150gr, the .270 has been the least finicky caliber I've ever had!

What were your loadings for the 90gr as im about to try these out?
thanks

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by milosmate:
quote:
Originally posted by GSF1200:

What were your loadings for the 90gr as im about to try these out?
thanks

I used 49grs of IMR-3031 for about 3400fps with the 90gr, also 53grs of H-380 for a little over 3400fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have I heard this ridiculas arguement before? Yes, about a 1000 times in the the last 40 years, didn't make since then and doesn't make since now...

THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO PRACTICAL DIFFERENCE IN ANY OF THEM IN TRAJECTORY OR KILLING POWER, NONE!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42010 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Have I heard this ridiculas arguement before? Yes, about a 1000 times in the the last 40 years, didn't make since then and doesn't make since now...

THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO PRACTICAL DIFFERENCE IN ANY OF THEM IN TRAJECTORY OR KILLING POWER, NONE!

Thank you Ray!

I agree 100%

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As of yesterday, I have the perfect one....one of each!!!

As far as stupid arguments go...I just like hearing people talk about their favorite round(s). That's why I started visiting here, that's why I'll stay. I can't figure out why some folks have such a low tolerance for topics like 223 vs. 22-250, 308 vs. 30-06, etc. If the topics are so painful, why not just skip them and let us have our fun???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point, corn husker.
The poster I have problems with is the arms expert that has a pre-conceived idea and posts his theory as a question. Then, when folks don't give him the answer he's looking for, he gets all strung out. Like hostile even.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Me too.

[This message has been edited by Nebraska (edited 05-19-2002).]

<Matt>
posted
I just wanted to have something different.
I got my first 280 when it was the 7mm express.I have three models.Here in New mexico I have taken elk, antelope,Deer and 1
oryx. To each his own!!!!