Find
Notify
Tools

favorite load for 280 Rem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Both of my Nossler and Lyman books say that a good powder, for a 7mm Nossler SB bullet, used for a 280 Remington, needs IMR 4350. The Book says it's not interchangeable with Accurate 4350 (which I have).

Wanted to know your thoughts? Is it best to use IMR and not AA? Anyone have any favorite load data for their 280? All feedback is welcome Thank you all!!

Posts: 636 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Both powders work well in the .280 but are not interchangeable.
My sons .280 really shoots 140 grain bullets
( Horn 139 GMX, Sierra SPBT's) with 53 grains of IMR4350.
Sierra manual shows max for IMR4350 and 140 grain bullets as 53.3 at 2800 fps, for same bullet with AA4350 the max is 52 grains at 2700 fps.
With 160 grain bullets their performance is closer.
If you have AA4350 on hand use it and work up a load but don't use IMR load data.
What weight bullets are you shooting?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
140-grain whatever bullet (or 139-grain Hornady) with 56-57 grains RL-19 or IMR 4350, two .280's.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
140-grain whatever bullet (or 139-grain Hornady) with 56-57 grains RL-19 or IMR 4350, two .280's.

BNagel you use 56-57 grains of IMR4350 with 140s that's kinda hot.. I load 56 grains of IMR4831

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
quote:

BNagel you use 56-57 grains of IMR4350 with 140s that's kinda hot.. I load 56 grains of IMR4831

Not in a new bolt gun. Published data has to account for the cartridge being brought out in pump guns and auto-loaders. Same data as 7x64 Brenneke I had, FWIW. The 7x64 preferred 160's.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 55gr IMR 4831, Remington 9 1/2 primer, and the Hornady 139sp. Never clocked it, but it was nice and accurate, real killer on deer and hogs.

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the consistency I get from slower burning powders. I load the (now discontinued) Nosler 150 grain Solid Base on top of 62 grains of IMR7828SSC for 3040 fps. I find that a full case of powder generally yields more consistent velocities.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, the discontinued "solid base" is now the Ballistic Tip and Accubond, same base design but no lead in the tip, polymer now and of course the Accubond is bonded.
They are 3 of a kind.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Sierra manual shows max for IMR4350 and 140 grain bullets as 53.3 at 2800 fps, for same bullet with AA4350 the max is 52 grains at 2700 fps.
If you have AA4350 on hand use it and work up a load but don't use IMR load data.

haven't started to load for it yet. BUT, I have 140g 7mm bullets (nossler SB's) which they do not make anymore. 280 Rem is still under construction, as it is currently being built from the ground up as we speak. should be ready sometime this fall, i would imagine.

Posts: 636 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ram Rod:
quote:

haven't started to load for it yet. BUT, I have 140g 7mm bullets (nossler SB's) which they do not make anymore. 280 Rem is still under construction, as it is currently being built from the ground up as we speak. should be ready sometime this fall, i would imagine.

As I told Stonecreek if you run out of your supply of 140 Solid Base bullets you can switch to Ballistic Tips and Accubonds, they should interchange nicely.

I think it was Craig Boddington who said "there isn't much you can't hunt with a 140 grain bullet at 2800 fps from a 7mm" or something like that and I think those are wise words.
Use the powder you have on hand and develop a load that is accurate in your rifle, you will be pleased with the results on game.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used IMR4350 at first. Changed to Norma MRP and never looked back.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stonecreek, the discontinued "solid base" is now the Ballistic Tip and Accubond, same base design but no lead in the tip, polymer now and of course the Accubond is bonded.
They are 3 of a kind.

It is true that all have their origin in the original Solid Base bullets, the originals were somewhat tougher and deeper penetrating than the offspring Ballistic Tips. In fact, the Solid Base performance was not too much different from the Partition -- and much like the current Accubond. However, the polymer tip add some bit of length to the same bullet weight over the lead-tipped originals. In some rifles, depending on magazine length, twist, and other factors, the shorter Solid Base bullets are a better fit or othewise simply work better than their offspring.

Incidentally, Nosler still occasionally makes (or until recently has made) runs of the Solid Base to sell to ammunition companies for their factory loads. I've purchased these in the past as "overruns" from the Shooter's Pro Shop which is the Nosler factory outlet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Incidentally, Nosler still occasionally makes (or until recently has made) runs of the Solid Base to sell to ammunition companies for their factory loads. I've purchased these in the past as "overruns" from the Shooter's Pro Shop which is the Nosler factory outlet.

I have seen them from time to time and I agree sometimes the lead out front instead of polymer does make a difference however slight.
Nosler has an interesting .224" Solid Base bullet that is Bonded and has a protected point. 64 grains, I am getting great groups out of it with an AR in .223 and a 22/250.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go on line, look up Accurate Reloading load data, they have a site, all the powder companies do, and they will give you loads for your 280 and all the bullet weights. I used a 280 in Namibia with 140s and was getting 2900 fps. Forget the load now, have it on my chronograph list. As I said, go look for Accurate Reloading data, use that as your search request, and will come up with their loading data.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I think he means this.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had 2 280s and a number of various improved versions. I usually found the 160s suited me better. Now when I only had a 280 little 115gr hollow points or the 120BT pushed to the max would make a purple haze out of a jackrabbit

While I prefer MRP one of the 4350s RL19 or RL17 would be real
options.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
I think he means this.

Or perhaps he means this: http://www.accuratereloading.com/reload.html

Unfortunately, it only contains loads for the improved version.

posted Hide Post
Hornady 154 gr. SP with 55 gr. R-19. Kills hogs and deer and probably bigger stuff.