New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading shot shells-low volume
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to reload a few shotgun shells, primarily .410 (the d*** things cost so much), but I don't want to invest in a reloading press, etc. Any suggestions?

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
How many do you shoot a year? You need to know that to know how much you can spend on reloading stuff to make it pay. You have to remember that your time is worth something as well (if only to get out to shoot/hunt). As a purely economic exercise, I would think you'd have to shoot 10 boxes a year to warrant a Lee Loader and spend the time reloading. If you're shooting skeet, you need to get a MEC 600 Jr. at a minimum.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree Hobie. You also have to account for the value of the experience of reloading, which I, and I assume many others find very enjoyable. I personally can not get out enough in my current situation to justify reloading, but in all reality I have come to truly enjoy the reloading process itself.

Carl

Posts: 153 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would probably not reload more than 3-4 boxes a year. Time is not a factor, I enjoy reloading. Actually, I thought perhaps it could be done on an ordinary single stage press-with the proper dies. But I've never seen anything like that. I've been reloading for over 30 years, but never shotshells-and I just don't use a shotgun that much....
You mentioned the Lee Loader? Do they make that for .410? That might be the answer, they used to be quite reasonable price-wise..

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pedestal, Since you don't want to buy the reloading equipment that does narrow the options:

1. Buy .410shells by the case. This way you can get "bids" from the Gun Shops you frequent to order one for you. Most are glad to do this for you since they are only out a call to you when it arrives. If you have a buddy who also uses a .410, split a case.

2. Go to your local Skeet Range during a shoot. You may happen to see someone you know there who is an avid Skeet shooter and has a .410 reloader. Then you buy the components(which will probably head you back up to #1), go visit him and you both load some up.

3. Join a Skeet Range if it has reloaders available for it's members. I remember shooting at a couple of them that had dedicated Reloading Rooms. One room for component storage and other rooms with maybe 12-15 Hollywood and Star reloaders set up and ready to go. You got the components you wanted, loaded your own, turned in the excess and paid for what you used.

4. I suppose it is possible that you could reload them by hand without an actual "Press Style" reloader "IF" your empties will slip back in your chamber easily. Getting the Primer in the case without firing it would be the trick.

Even then you could drill a hole in a piece of cold-rolled, taper the edge slightly, clamp it in a vise and "drive" the .410shell into the hole to "Resize" it.

If you had one of the old Lee Hand Loaders for a 45Colt you might be able to modify it to do what you want.

You would have to drive the old Primers out by setting the case over a "Washer" clamped in a Vise with a hole big enough to let the Primer pass through. The Deprimer rod that comes with the 45Colt set should work.

But, you would need to open the hole where you normally drive the spent primer out "in the Die Set" large enough to be able to "Seat" the new Primer SAFELY. The trick is to get it big enough to catch the flange of the Shotgun Primer and small enough so as not to set it off. Then drive it home as you would the one for the 45Colt.

Dump in powder, wiggle a wad in, dump in shot and tediously close the star crimp with your fingers.

Have a "Dowel Rod" small enough to "tamp" the crimp in place. Not sure if you could do this "inside" the 45Colt Die or not. You would need something around the shell casing to support the sides of it near the mouth while doing this. If the 45Colt Die can't be drilled out enough to allow the Dowel Rod in, then you could drill a hole in a piece of wood to support the shell casing during the final crimping. It does need to be a "snug" fit.

After you go through this exercise, the case price might look pretty good.

I just traded off a 3" .410 Pacific reloader and a 3" .410 M870 last year. Both were fine pieces of equipment.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote