New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: one rifle/one cartridge
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
For deer, sheep, and pronghorn only it would be a custom Model 70 Winchester in .270 Win. with a Leupold 2.5-8X scope.

AD

<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

OK, OK, I thouht I had this all figured out and you guys go and bring up the .280, one of my all time favorite rounds. Around here, it seems no one has discovered the .280, all you ever see is the .270, I don't know why.

Bobby

I hear you

7X64 Brenneke was invented in 1912. The 280 rem is almost a identical round. I think the 7X64 & 280 rem is better choice than the 6,8X64

Now, where is my flame proof suit

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me it's the 6.5x55. I have a Remington Classic in that caliber as well as 3 old Swedish M96 mausers. It doesn't jolt your eye teeth out, is potent enough for moose in Canada, and is quite accurate. Did I mention it shoots everything from 85 to 160 grains? That's quite a range. It didn't take long to become my favorite rifle. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
An M-70 fwt in 6.5-06

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that you have the perfect gun. The 7-08 needs the 24"barrel and it's my favorite length. If you ever get ready to sell it let me know. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem 700 action 24 inch #4 Lilja fluted High Tech stock 280Ack Imp 4.5X14 VXIII LR. 8.25lbs
or Rem 700 Hart Barrel #5 HS stock 25-06 Dipped in Real Tree HardWoods HD. Luepod 4.5X14 Tactical up graded by Premiere reticle 9.3lbs
These are my picks for this years deer season, I plan on trigger time with both.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jeff, exactly!

Regarding the high country, we started getting snow early this year towards the end of August... then it warmed up and we've had a beautiful Indian Summer... I'm glad as I don't have my house completely sided yet! I'm doubtful I'll get much hunting in tho I'll sneak away for a poke at an elk!

Best,

Brad