Find
Notify
Tools

2600+FPS 458WM loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got any?
I'd like to use either the woodleigh 350grsnrn or the Hornady 350grsnrn.

--Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to drive a 350gr .458 bullet that fast I would use a North Fork, or a Barnes X., maybe a Swift. Those are the only bullets I wouold trust at that velocity.

I shoot the Hormady 350 gr at @2330fps in my 450 No2 double on deer and pigs.

I do not think I would want to drive it any faster.
I receintly got some 350 North Forks but I have not shot them yet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've talked to hornady about this, they're confident that their bullet's ok at that speed...

Note that I'm not interested in hitting anything with the h-brand snrn at 2600+fps, I'm looking to get a good 300yd load set up for my .458 that'll still have some snot left at the end of the tour.

The Hornady 4502 350grsnrn bullets I have here, the newer ones with the two grooves, seem to be out of round, with the noses somewhat eccentric to the bore axis. Took some of them out to the workshop today and set them up in a collet in the lathe -- they just don't look right.
I'll be calling hornady on monday and asking for a return authorization.
Hopefully they'll make good on that.

The woodleighs I have here look perfect.

What is your concern about the speed?
That they'll come apart in the bore?

Who's your north fork supplier here in the states?
They can be driven at higher than typical 'lead bullet' velocities with similar powder charges can't they?

I'd thought about the TSX barnes too, but thought I'd see what I can do with snrn jacketed bullets first.

for what it's worth, these loads are for a whitworth express...

Thanks for your notes.

--Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No2-

Duh on the north fork supplier question.

I found it here

His 458ss bullet seems to be up to the task, I'm still wondering about what the load recipe for 2600+FPS for the 458WM would look like.

Perhaps a call to their office is in my near future.

--Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No2-

I've had the H and the W out in the last week at max loads with 2015 (75gr) and accuracy isn't really anything to write home about.

I talked to the guy at North Fork about his bullets and will likely be trying them out in January.

He suggested I try accurate 2230 in the .458
I plan to do so and will likely have similar loads out next week with that powder.

Have you tried the North Fork bullets out in your rifle yet?
I'm interested to hear how they do.

--Tinker