Find
Notify
Tools

125 grain nosler sbt in 3030?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
if you have hunting and loading experience with this bullet in 3030 .please share it with me.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried them in a Savage 340, a few years ago and was not impressed with the accuracy. The bullet has a long nose and you have to seat it deep to fit in the clip. That makes for a long jump for the bullet to engage the rifling. I did get good accuracy with the bullets seated long and loading them one at a time.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I tried them in a Savage 340, a few years ago and was not impressed with the accuracy. The bullet has a long nose and you have to seat it deep to fit in the clip. That makes for a long jump for the bullet to engage the rifling. I did get good accuracy with the bullets seated long and loading them one at a time.

ok how many powders did you try this with?

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried 4 powders. IMR 4198, H335, IMR4064 and Varget. The problem is in the length of the clip. The bullet has to be seeted very deep to fit the clip. I have had this argument about using BT's before. They may work in some rifles, but dont fit the Savage 340 very good. I have tried one box of 125g and one of 150g, and will not waste any more time or money on them.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hawky
what you mentioned about 340 is totaly correct,but you didn't mention about your loads and the speed you got. long ago there was ammo company called Dominion in canda which had som good loads in 3030 both soft point and solid what happened to the company , if it still exist would you please give me their web adress.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, Dominion no longer exists. I have had the best luck using Remington 125g psp and 37.5g of H335, Winchester primer and brass, nech sized. I get 2560 fps, and 1" groups with this load. I have gone as high as 39g of H335, but had no crono at the time, and found the load a little hard on brass. I have some new brass and plan on some more tests soon.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Danny,
I've been using the Nosler 125gr BT in my grandsons' 30-30s since they first came out. The boys (note plural) have either H&Rs or T/C Contenders. All the guns shoot the 125s extremely well and they perform well on Colorado antelope and mule deer. My powder of choice has been Win 748, but BallC2 has also worked well. Good shooting.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote