New
Find
Notify
Tools

muzzlebrake v/s accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the past I have had several people tell me that a muzzlebrake will hurt you accuracy a little. I have never owned a gun with a muzzlebrake, I have shot a few rifles with muzzlebrakes but since they weren't my rifles or my loads I don't know if it made a difference or not. I'm not really considering putting a muzzlebrake on any of my rifles right now but it was just bugging me and I was wandering if there was any truth to this.

Posts: 28 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckmaster:

It depends on the rifle. Some rifles will shoot BETTER with a brake, some the same, and yes maybe some that will be worse.

My Gunsmith did well over 100 custom brakes for customers, only one that he could remember shot worse with the break on.

I have three braked rifles, all shoot better with the break on, and have about a 50 FPS gain in bullet speed.

Get a removable brake with a cap, then you have the best of both worlds.

Some people hate breaks, some peopole lovem... personally I LOVEM...

Regards... Jim P

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kleingunther brake I have on my 7mag doesn't hurt the accuracy at all. I believe KDF now uses this brake also.

It enabled me to drop group sizes from 1-1/2" at 100yds to 1/2" consistently.

Most people I know with brakes, have not complained about accuracy.

Just from my personal experience,

HBL

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If muzzle brakes reduced accuracy, then the .50 BMG benchrest crowd would have discarded them by now.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The fact is that a brake may well indeed change the accuracy of your loads, but fortunately we are smart enough to work around this by changing our loads or MV accordingly. This helps to tune out the change in harmonics induced by the brake. What the brake will do is shower nearby shooters with considerable muzzle blast as compared to a rifle without a brake. It will also be louder for them too. It is impossible to say that the brake will do anything but induce a new variable. Hopefully, this will help the shooter. If not, the load needs to be worked up again in my experience.

<phurley>
posted
I have had several rifle braked, and I have never had one shoot with less accuracy after the brake than before. I think the added weight of the brake makes for a more stable barrel, on the magnum chamberings, thus a more accurate barrel. The technology of the Browning Boss touchs on this. I shoot braked rifles in 7mm STW, .340 Wby, .358 STA, .416 Rem, and they all shoot with pin point accuracy. With all that said, I have an old .300 Win mag that I will never brake, because it will spit 180 grain Nosler Partition and North Forks in one ragged hole, if I do my part. That rifle has killed a ton of game for me, and will remain as original till the day I die. [Wink] Good shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an inregral custom brake on my bench rifle. I also have aMagnaported Weatherby in 300wby. If it wasn't for the break on the Wby I sure couldn't shoot it as well as I do. derF

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WHEN all the writers were wringing out the .340 Weatherby, they were praising the ability and accuracy of the rifle because they would shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100, great for a big rifle. I specifically remember that in an article by Charlie Askins.

I picked up my first .340 and before I ever touched off a round sent it to my gunsmith who makes one of the best brakes on the planet.(he builds the brakes for these)
http://www.cheyennetactical.com/
I will bench shoot that rifle with the felt recoil of a HOT .243 or light .270. Because I don't have the punishment to worry about, I can concentrate on the shot. My handload 250 gr gamekings will group 1/2-3/4" and when everything goes right it will print 8" at 1000. This is using the stock Wby bbl and using a glass stock. On a heavy barker, a brake will let you concentrate on shooting and getting the best out of the system.
I also have his brakes on my 8 pound .375H&H and my other Sako .340wby.
A good brake helps just about every rifle.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ehh?
what did you say?
Sorry, you'll have to speak louder...

i can't hear you because I was deafened by a muzzle break at close quarters...
jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote