New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Calipers
 Login/Join

<Fisher>
posted
How many of you guys use the digital calipers and if so what make and model. I was looking into switching over to the digital. When I started finding out how many makes and models are out there. I decided to stop in here and ask the experts there opinions.

Tell me what you know guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Mitatoyo for measuring. I have a Starret Dial caliper I use when comparing, The dial seems faster plus no batteries

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
None of my reloading equipment is digital.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I use a dial. Less batt. the better, they will run down when you least expect it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Midway brand,much prefer the digital over dial type.I'm still working on the first battery,4 yrs now,(and I'v accidently left them on for days)though they did include a spare.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
I have used both digital and dial calipers in both a machine shop setting and in my back room reloading. The old school Mititoyo dial calipers wins hands down.

ZM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fisher,

We have a number of calibers around the workshop, both dial and digital.
It seems most of us prefer the dial type, as they are the ones most in use.

We have both Starret and Mitutoyo.

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Fisher>
posted
Thanks for the fast replies guys. It seems like the biggest complaint about the digital is the batteries. Are the dial calipers more accurate and faster. Or are they equal in those areas.

Zeke, why do you feel the dial wins hands down. Since you use them both in reloading and work. I would be interested in your answers.

Thanks Saeed, I have wondered if people just like the old school of thought. No batteries, less to go wrong. Not really whether one is more accurate then the other.

Thanks again for all the help.

[ 03-02-2003, 23:09: Message edited by: Fisher ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the Mitatoyo coolant proof digital calipers becuase my cousin worked on the design.

I had used the $20 Midway dial calipers for years, and I was used to using them.

So now I have the digital in the shop, and the dial calipers in the reloading area and it seems to be working out.

I have a set of pin gauges and I can measure how accurate calipers are. By wiping off the jaw surfaces and being consistant with force, I can get more accuracy and resolution from my dial calipers if I wear my glasses and interpolate between dial marks.

The digital has the zero function with comes in handy allot. It saves me from subtraction in my brain.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both in the Six Sigma classes we teach, as part of an exercise on the statistics of measuring systems.

The battery issue is kind of a pain, alright, but not a big one.

My opinion is that beginners do better on the digital ones. They seem to have trouble getting all their significant digits accounted for with the dial type. Experienced people seem to do about equally well with either. I think after a little while, it is just a matter of personal preference.

My usual source is Harbor Freight.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fisher: I use a Starrett digital. I think it's great. No more trying to read those vernier lines with my eyes. I don't have any problem with battery life, geez, it's got an on/off slide. One of the best features is the zero. It can be set at any point. I'm a stickler for cartridge length to the ogive and use competition seating dies. I seat a bullet,measure to the ogive and readjust the seating stem to the desired setting if necessary. I then measure to the ogive and hit the "zero" function on the calipers. From then on, I can measure to the ogive and be told how many thousandths I'm off. No more measuring & adding or subtracting. I use the same principal when I check for case length. Bear in Fairbanks

[ 03-03-2003, 08:44: Message edited by: Bear in Fairbanks ]

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Mitutoyo dial caliper for years and recently purchased a Starret digital caliper. I still like the dial better.

Posts: 90 | Location: California | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Fisher>
posted
Thanks guys for all your input. I really appriciate the information. I have used the dial calipers for several years now. I have had the urge to go digital for a while now. I suppose I will do what it seems everyone else has done. Buy one and see if I like it or not.

Thanks again for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
I don't have any problem with battery life, geez, it's got an on/off slide.

In a weak moment I bought a cheapy at harbor freight.

I was concerned about haveing to zero it every time I turned it on. Surprise!! Even turned off, it keeps track of where it is at. Zero is maintained and consistant.

Puzzled, I tried to measure battery current. It used the same current wheather it is turned ON or OFF (since only the display turns on/off & LCD's take little current). Ok, so how long will the battery last? The battery capacity projected to about two years.

I'd vote for the dial for my two days per month useage. Digital if used often every day (well maybe equal).

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I use both a Mitutoyo 4" digital, and a 6" dial. I really like the 4" digital, but the battery died a few months back, after 4-5 years use, and I keep forgetting to get a replacement battery.

Definately get a 4" for reloading use, much handier to use, and there are very few times you need more range.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll say I'm "digitally green", but for the guys that remember(or care) Iwent through this exact same thing about a month ago. I bought a digital Mitutoyo - and love it!! This is after using a dial for 17 years - don't get me wrong, each has its' own place, and price is a bit different. This digital I ended up with will do everything my dial did plus some, and faster. Would I buy another dial? Probably. Would I buy another digital? It would have to be a "Minitoyota" - only because I can't pronounce Mitutoyo!

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote