THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What is the best book to get started on Re-loading???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best book to get started on Re-loading???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a good "how to" Book on the topic of Re-loading. I see there are a lot out there. Are there any good books showing the how to's step by step?

Thanks

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first book I bought was "The ABC's of Reloading". It's pretty good. The first few chapters discuss cases, primers, powders, and bullets. There are step-by-step instructions as well. I highly recommend Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Handloading", written before the big war, and revised just after. You can probably pick up a copy at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0935632646/qid=1055012904/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9068292-2355069?v=glance&s=books

You're going to need reloading manuals. These come in essentially two types. The type you have to buy (and you only need one to get started) is printed by bullet makers (Speer, Hornady, Barnes, Swift, A-Square). These usually contain detailed step-by-step instructions and general discussions on reloading. I started with the Speer manual and have since picked up the A-Square and Barnes. In bullet makers' manuals, you can rapidly scan through the tables and see which are the best powders for a given bullet weight and type.

I am happy with the Speer manual for the amount of data, but coverage of big bores is pretty thin. The A-Square manual (available at Sinclair last time I checked) covers lots of big bores and oddball calibers. The sections on internal and terminal ballistics are the best in any manual out there. The reloading data doen't cover as many bullet weights as the Speer manual. I wouldn't need the Barnes manual if I wasn't considering reloading with Barnes X-bullets. X-bullets are pure copper, and the reloading data for them is significantly different than for lead and ordinary jacketed bullets.

The other type of manual is printed by powder manufacturers, and they are all free. Look at the Alliant, Hogdon, Vita Vouri, and IMR websites to get phone mumbers. Winchester will also send you a free manual if you call them. The data in powder company manuals is specific to their own powders with different kinds of bullets. There are not any reloading instructions in most powder company manuals. The powder company's manual will tell you the best powder that company makes for a given bullet weight. Sometimes the load and velocity will be different from what is printed in the bullet-maker's manual. Different guns give different results.

The other other kind of reloading manual is sold by reloading equipment makers such as Lee and Lyman. The Lee manual ($10-15) is organized much like a bullet maker's manual, except the reloading data is a compliation of all the powder makers' data. Lee has a formula and method for choosing reduced loads that you may find very interesting. Lyman sells a cast bullet manual, and black powder manual, and a general reloading manual.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Mnay of the laoding manuals cover the basics. Speer, Nosler & Hornady all have decent forwards on the basics of met. cart. loading. If you want a specific how to, as Henry said, the ABC's of reloading is a good book & also covers shotguns if you ever want to go that direction as well.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry, the Lyman book Reloading Handbook deserves a closer look; it's a great book to get started with handloading.

To get informed about modern handloading methods and equipment, I suggest Sinclair and Zediker.

As you mention out of print classics like Sharpe, I may add: Earl Naramore. Both are not for the beginner to start with, imho.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the NRA Reloading Guide.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i prefer the first 5 editions of "ABC's of reloading by dean grennel. the 6th ed. isn't as good.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloading is only part of it. Sinclair's Reloading Guide (not a reloading guide per se) will stand you in good stead. Any of the manuals, Sierra, Hodgdon or Nosler will take you through the steps in a fairly thorough fashion. You're going to need a good book on accuracy shooting for it to really make good sense. An old book from the 50's serves the purpose well. It's Warren Page's "Accurate Rifle." Another good one is by Glen Newick, also a benchrester. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank D

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started the shop got me with the Hornady manual. That was great. Then I got the Speer, Hodgdon,Nosler, Barnes, new Nosler and Lee in that order.

Start with on a read it over a coule of times

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd start with the Lyman Manual, then get a Sierra, Speer and/or a Nosler. You'll need more than one to get a good perspective.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank - if you havn't bought a book yet check this out... last year Lee offered a deal for beginning reloaders. Their Book and their single press for under $25.
They have a new book out this year, but MidwayUSA still lists this kit as "Lee Anniversary Reloading Pack".
Not a bad start - since you can decide if reloading is for you. Then if you upgrade your press, you can keep this single stage for de-capping etc.
[Cool] www.midwayusa.com

Posts: 54 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The McPherson reloading manual shows many powder choices for all cartridges listed. I use it most often when reloading.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 50 manuals now, but when I started I only had the manual that came with my Rockchucker kit: "Speer 12".

I studied the loads in that manual and tried to make sense of them. I was very angry when I finally figured out that the loads for a caliber and bullet were listed in order of velocity, but were not at the same pressure. Likewise I was angered when someone pointed out that all the starting loads had velocities calculated with a bogus formula.

These days I like Sierra's manual for rifles and the powder manufacturer's free manuals for pistols.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to your public library and see if they have: "Practical Reloading" by John Wooters and/or "Modern Handloading" by George Nonte.
"ABC's of Reloading" by Dean Grenell, mentioned above, also good(and funny) especially his first effort.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted
What about...
Ricciardelli's web pages...

Lots-o-good information and it's free, free, free!

one of us
posted Hide Post
collect whatever you want, but be sure you end up with a copy of Ken Water's Pet Loads as well as copy of Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And don't forget about the NRA's reloading books and tapes.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
ALL handloading manuals give the basic step-by-step procedures. The best current one for a beginner is the Lyman, because it gives loads for a lot of different manufacturers' bullets and powders, including cast bullets, whereas most of the rest are "proprietary", in that the publisher is primarily selling bullets or powder.

The Phil Sharpe book mentioned above is timeless, because it contains a lot of information you'll never find anyplace else inside one cover, even though a lot of the tools and powders listed are obsolete and no longer available except as antiques!! P.O. Ackley's two books are great references, but
"Game loads & Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter by Bob Hagel is the one to get for information on hunting cartridges and loads!! It is not a reloading manual, per se, but is great for a hunter to read at least three times over!! [Big Grin]

[ 06-15-2003, 23:41: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
By far Sierra Reloading Manual, they wrote the book on accuracy!

and Ken Water's PET LOADS Vol 1 and 2

[ 06-29-2003, 18:00: Message edited by: Alaska Bush Man ]

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my start using the Lyman manual and would still highly recommend it. Matter of fact, they just came out with their newest edition.

Metallic Cartridge Reloading by M. L. McPherson is also a good read.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
AREN'T THERE SOME VIDEOS AVAILABLE TOO?

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i personally felt that the ABCs of Reloading was a waste of time as a "How To" book. It reads as one person talking to another with a lot of stories in it. If you are looking for a straight step 1 do this, step 2 do that, the reloading manuals are great for that. Read the reloading manual firstor even online like at RCBS.com. Then read ABCs of reloading, you will get more information from it after reading the manual. I know the feeling about a video. I havent ran across one, i think dilleon might sell one or sinclair international. it sounds a lot more difficult than it actually is. take your time and read it, then try it while reading, and read it again to clarify things. that first round was stressfull to make, but after that it is pretty stress free.

later
lojack

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact Hornady offers a video on reloading. Go to their website,

www.hornady.com

posted Hide Post
The best beginner's loading manual, IMHO, is Lyman. And, they've just put out their new one, 48th, so it's even better. Has all the data for the latest whiz-bangs, latest powders,etc. The Lyman has always been a good manual for reference, but I have always admired the coverage given to the hands on step-by-step mechanics of reloading it features. This is advice I always give to new handloaders. I wish I'd bought the Lyman first, when I was trying to teach myself to load, it would have made it easier for me, and it will for you, too. My copy of the Lyman 47th is dog-eared, held together with duct tape and zip-ties,and even though I have a bright, shiny, new Lyman 48th, the older one is like an old friend.
Good Luck

Posts: 5 | Location: Darkest Kalifornia | Registered: 25 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All new loaders should have a copy of A-Square's "Any Shot You Want"...excellent treatment on adjusting your dies and the effects of changing components etc. Not real great on specific loads to try but you can get that off the internet but it you read and understand Any Shot You Want you will be a safe and careful loader.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
A-Square, Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, Swift, Speer, Lyman ------- These are the manuals I currantly load by. If I shoot a Swift bullet I look at that manual first. I would like for Superior Ammo to put out a book, their ammo is second to none, and they load all bullets. [Wink] Good shooting

posted Hide Post
The only booklet I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND is the Loadbook USA for single calibers. I bought several for the few calibers, and I find the data old, and not current, and I just don't trust them. I should have spent the cash on a Speer, Hornady, or just about any other. They may work for some, but I haven't been reloading all my life, and I need to get a feeling of trust from the manual, and I don't get that from these single caliber booklets. Lee and Lyman's 48th edition is what I use, and I lean toward the Lyman more then the Lee for the 5 calibers I reload.

Posts: 8 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Alaska Bush Man, Sierra wrote the book on accuracy. Their reloading manual is the best available in my opinion. Excellent information. The loads they list as the accuracy loads for each bullet per caliber will generally shot very well plus or minus a few tenths of a grain. Sierra tech support is the best available. Nosler and Hornaday tech's make it sound like you are bothering them. I have Speer, Hornaday, Nosler, and a few other manuals but for the most part they gather dust. I would rate the Nosler manual a distant second.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the most important aspects of reloading is recordkeeping. The longer you are in the game, the more important it becomes. For that purpose, the Sierra looseleaf binder format shines. You can make notes on targets and keep them in the appropriate cartridge section of the Sierra binder. Going back to old targets has been enlightening and saved a lot of time over the years. My book is old, but Sierra has sent me pages covering new cartridges when I have asked for them. The Sierra techs will also help with problems if you call them. Very useful.

Warren Page's "The Accurate Rifle" is an excellent resource once you get hooked on trying for little groups.

Just for loading data, the Lee manual is handy, since it is a compilation of other companies' published data.

For graduate level work, P.O. Ackley's "Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders" is a real education.

For basic handloading instructions, the Lyman, Hornady and Speer manuals are excellent.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading" Good starter book. Just remember the arthor may be biased.

IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE PAIN, DON'T PLAY THE GAME

Posts: 40 | Location: Phoenix AZ. | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I recomend the NRA Guide to Reloading. Get it through the NRA training dept or Midway. (You'll still need a reaoading manuel) It covers both shotshell & metalic. Best Basis primer I've seen. You might want to take their basic reloading course to get started, contact them for an instructor & course near you.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey guys:

Just browsing through the advise you fellows are giving Frank D and I have to agree with a lot of it.My preference has always Lyman and after going over there new 48th. addition I have to to still rate them way up there.They have one hell of a testing facility and there loads have always been good.
I must also agree with the accuracy part for Siera.But most of there stuff is not for novices.Ken Waters ranks up there as another one of my all time favs.That man dedicates most of his life to shooting.

Just my opinion Frank I know these guys would never steer you wrong

Grijim [Cool]

Posts: 21 | Location: Prince Rupert ,B.C. | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote