Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading the 45ACP
 Login/Join

posted
Been reloading for 30 years for competition, plinking and hunting but now I am loading personal defense ammo. I have read most of the 45ACP related reloading posts on this forum, and others, but there is a critical component that they are missing. In any cartridge the less air space under the bullet the more consistent the velocity and performance. Unfortunately with 45ACP, a low pressure round, most powders do not fill the area under the bullet more than half way. The other variable is powder burn rate certainly, the slower the powder the more likely it is to fill the case which is converse to shooting out of short 5" or 4.25" 1911 barrels. So the question I have for you 45ACP experts is what powder fills the case the most while burning fast enough to maximize the velocity of a 45ACP using a 230gr JHP bullet. Certainly there are lots of great powders for the 45ACP but I am looking for the Holy Grail of powders; the one that fills the airspace and is fast enough to maximize velocity and reduce standard deviation. These rounds will be loaded in new brass with Federal LP primers and the primers will be sealed to ensure long shelf life. Rounds will be shot from either a standard 5" 1911, Colt Commander, or Glock 21. Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: GA | Registered: 28 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reload everything BUT, for self defense it is factory only, for the usual legal reasons.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

My first thought is you may be over engineering your ACP loading. Wink I'm sure everyone has a go to powder. For the 45ACP and 230grs mine is Accurate No 7. I've used Accurate No 5 as well but No 7 gives me better accuracy. In my Kimber 5"

As mike said for defense it is factory only. No use giving the lawyers something else to argue about.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a somewhat bulkier medium speed powder for the 45 acp. For me that is H Universal. I mostly load 200 grn bullets. If it comes time for self defense I don't have any qualms about using my hand loads, 200 grn hollow points.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Michalski:
I reload everything BUT, for self defense it is factory only, for the usual legal reasons.

Yup

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, I too was a "Factory only for self defense" guy for the reason you mention. Today factory supplies are hard to get in quantity and I have never had one of my reloads not function in well over 200K rounds. Indeed I think that the court of public opinion would be harder on a reloader but let's face it, if all the head stamps are Win or FC and the rounds look factory they would be hard pressed to prove they were not. And if they take em apart the insides are new and shiny. I hope I never have to use the rounds but at this point I would not hesitate to carry a mag full of my reloads. After posting I stumbled onto some good data for VV N350 and Vectan SP2 both of which I have a supply of so I am going to try them.
Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: GA | Registered: 28 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Aliant Power Pistol

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the question I have for you 45ACP experts is what powder fills the case the most while burning fast enough to maximize the velocity of a 45ACP using a 230gr JHP bullet.

SR-4756 four seven five SIX

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Win 231 is hard to beat in 45acp strong 9mm, and light 357 mag. It is a great powder for my needs.

Posts: 54 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR-4756 does a good job in my Kimber and is bulky enought to not leave much space in the brass.

Posts: 52 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Burgie
posted Hide Post
In our 1911s we have tried many powders and keep going back to AA-#5 8 grains, any brass, any 200 grain cast bullet, and any large pistol primer. I have tried many brands of primers and powders and its all good in our four pistols.

Enjoy reloading and shooting........burgie

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still use Unique. sofa

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I shoot as much competition as I can. My favorite is Steel Challenge. When I was carrying an M1911, I shot a 230gr LRN over Green Dot.
I shot a LOT of test ammo over the chronograph varying primers and amounts so that I could get the most consistant and ammo I could. I used Federal, CCI, Win, Remington, Magtech, and Fiocchi primers and didn't find a lot of difference, prolly because of the small volume, low-pressure case.
Green Dot doesn't fill the case, but it doesn't need to as it is very easy to ignite. It's sister powders, Red Dot, Clay Dot, and Bullseye, fall in the same catagory, and Unique is quite a bit larger, so fills the case better.
I've used the Accurate powders, too, and always keep some of each around.
A 200gr bullet would be equally good, and not hard to find loads for.
I've gone to a .40 now, because of the larger capacity magazine.
When I carry for SD, I just fill the magazines with competition ammo, and will tell the judge it's what was in the gun.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote