New
Find
Notify
Tools

case wall thickness
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would some of you gents enlighten me on this subject? I am shooting F-class and would like to know whether someone who is still relatively new to the discipline will notice the difference if i culled and when culling out brass with more than .001 difference what is the difference I will most likely see.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Welcome,

I don't shoot F class but I would be surprised but I've sure been wrong before.

I would suggest you might want to ask the same question over on.
http://benchrest.com/forum.php

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelongranger:
Would some of you gents enlighten me on this subject? I am shooting F-class and would like to know whether someone who is still relatively new to the discipline will notice the difference if i culled and when culling out brass with more than .001 difference what is the difference I will most likely see.

Some of it depends on how large your chamber neck is and how you size your brass.
If you have a huge oversize chamber and size your brass down to minimums I doubt you could see a difference shooting off of sand bags and using a benchrest scope.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it wouldn't hurt your neck tension.
it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference in alignment,
you are allready using those cases.

i would measure my neck/throat area.
then you will know what you need instead of guessing at stuff.

i have found some rifles need as much as .016 thick cases [iv'e seen them need more] to get the bullet high enough off the chamber wall to be near the centerline of the barell.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bud's who are serious F Class shooters. Two of them are F Class National champ, unlimited, tactical, etc.

To start with they are/were outstanding sling shooters. I regularly shoot small bore prone with one. They both are such good wind readers that I think they are psychic.

Don’t think that for a moment that you can compensate for basic or advanced shooting skills with esoteric reloading techniques. While they have told me, ”everything effects everything at 1000 yards”, in terms of case, primer, powder, seating depth, etc, you will only see the effect of reloading variables after years of dedicated shooting.

So I guess my pitch is, load up and go shooting. When you pull enough targets in the pitts with champions, you will figure out what works and what does not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just want to know whether there is a real advantage checking for variations in case wall thickness. If I'm only gaining .1 moa , then I believe it's a waste of time. .5 moa may well help at 700 - 1000 yds

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you want to have accurate hand loads, you need to eliminate difference from one case to the other. You need to keep cases in batches and neckturn about 75% of the outside of the case neck. This would ensure an even grip and ensuring and even release of the bullet. After neckturning, I take out the decapping rod and necksize all cases. This works well for me.