Find
Notify
Tools

Annealing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted
Working on getting the correct headspace for a T/C Encore in 7 mm Rem. Mag. Need to have my brass a little longer than standard. Figure the best way is to use a 338 Norma, and size it to the proper headspace, but the cases are leaving a ring in the shoulder area that does not completly go away with fire forming. Started going through the archives on annealing, and the temp most often cited is 650 degrees F., however, looking at the Hornady annealing kit, the Tempilac paint supplied with it is 475 degrees F. Which is correct? A lot of the post talk about using a propane torch in a dark room till it turns red, or blue, and I figure the correct temp stick or paint should be the key to me learning to correctly "read" the case color, but first I need to know what is the right temp. All help appreciated.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Annealing really takes place at a rather wide range of temps.

The main reason for the two temps is that the Hornady instructions put the Tempilaq below the neck, where it will obviously be a little cooler than the 650 at the neck you are shooting for.

I've found annealing hard to mess up, provided you are consistent about it. HTH, Dutch.

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/costeff/pub117/sec62.htm

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Brass starts to alter at about 465°, doesn't alter significantly till about 570° and continues on up to 1400° where it burns. It gets quite soft above about 900°. Generally the ideal temperature for cartridge brass is 670°. I used a 700° Tempilstik early on when I was trying to get the temp right, until I learned there wasn't significant change in annealing "around" the optimum temp to affect bullet grip significantly. I learned what the colors looked like and quit using anything but instinct some 25 years ago. Some, like gunwriter John Barsness, use a candle to anneal and claim success even though I doubt that gets anywhere near optimum temperature.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote