New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Bullet Combo for Buff in 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As Barnes solids are no longer available what do you recommend for first shot(expanding) and follow up (solid) bullets for Cape Buffalo? I've looked at both NF and CEB. What is your personal experience? This will be my first buff. Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 298 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many high quality softs available, but NF, Swift, and TSX are quite good. CEB makes good flat-nose solids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Barnes just started selling .375 solids...

As for bullets for buffalo, in the .375 H&H, I would not bother with solids. Use TSX, A Frames, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, or North Fork Cup point Solids.

If you want my experience those have all performed well for me.

CEB, and the lead cored Northforks have a strong following here as well, but I have not killed a buffalo with them myself.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 300 gr. Nosler partition with no problems in my 375 H&H. I have also used the 370 gr. Cutting Edge Raptor in my 450/400 Nitro Express, it really flattened him. As always though, bullet placement is the most important part of the shooting.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 woodleigh

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
270gr SNPP Woodleigh over 81.5 WIN 760

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Ask your PH or outfitter if they even want you to shoot solids. Some do, some don't. Let your rifle tell you what it prefers out of the number of premium bullets available for the 375. I have used 300's and Woodleigh 350PP and solids. The 350's seemed to have a more noticeable effect but 2 buff are not a big enough sample. If I ever go back it will probably be 300TSX.
Enjoy your hunt!!!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 475gr CEB Raptors out of my 500NE and he went down in his tracks.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with the PH whether he prefers you to use a soft or a solid. In my 375H&H I use only 270gr GSC FN bullets when I need to use a solid. 265gr GSC HV bullets make a good dangerous game load that can also double as a plainsgame load if a soft is required. Having said that, I have never personally hunted dangerous game, I am too chicken. Smiler

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have not used a solid on buffalo for I don't know how many years, and never looked back.

Any copper HP like the Barnes, GS custom or any of the many available are perfect for buffalo.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67587 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote