Find
Notify
Tools

Maximum Load Variations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted
As I have been gathering load information over the last few days I have noticed slight variations between sources for the same bullet. For example, the Barnes Manual lists a max charge of 92.0 gr. of H414 @2967fps with a 250Gr. XFB in the 375 Ultra Mag. The hodgdon website lists a max of 93.5 Gr.@3006fps with the exact same bullet and cartridge. I can understand that there are a lot of variables between test rifles and I ALWAYS work up to the max load, but what else would cause this? Do the Hodgdon boys just have a little more testicular fortitude in the lab or is Barnes just erring on the side of cautious?

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
1) Testing conditions;
2) Testing equipment;
3) Testing rig;
4) Lot number of bullets, primers, powder and cases;
5) Corporate interest in showing their product is better.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In science and engineering we like to see repeatable results from experiments and calculations, but load books are cook books, and not raw data or calculations.

Expect less from load books and be less disappointed.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you a lot of diffeent guns long enough, you'll learn that there just aren't going to be two that are alike. I've found this to be true w/ pistols & rifles, each is a rule unto itself. The load you are quoting is only 1.5gr diff. @ 41fps, in a cart. that size that is really pretty close to me. I've shot 2 diff. 30-06 side by side w/ factory ammo that vary more than that. Just use your load info. as a guide & work up to your rifle's per load.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote