New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hitting high-what to do?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have the smith TIG weld some metal on top of one of your front sights. Then machine it into a flat blade, file the hieght down until it is sighted in, and then re blue the part.

Randy Ketchum, a great gunsmith, will do one little spot of TIG weld for me for $5, but the price climbs with prep work, lathe, or mill work added. Here is his email:

Captain Midnight <rketchum@hotmail.com>

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not want to put a scope on this firearm, my cz 550 sm.
.458wm converted .458 lott

I have trouble with 400gr bullets hitting too high.
I have purchased the #14, the highest they make, front sight from CZ and the bullets are still 4� high at 80 yards.

This also occurred when the weapon was a Win Mag as well so the conversion is not the problem.

405 grain bullets at 1500fps hit about 13 inches high. At 2000 fps they were 9� high
I am now using Barnes 400 grain spitzers at 2300 fps and they are 4� high. (80yrds) The group was 1� with iron sights.
These bullets are at about their max velocity since bullet performance at impact, point blank, is nearly explosive.

Should I try a tougher 400gr bullet and increase velocity or would it be better to drop the bullet weight to 350gr and play with the velocity? (is the 350gr bullet going to be accurate) I am leaning toward trying the 350 gr since recoil of the 400 at 2300 fps is about what I want for this particular load. (Boar and Bear)
Anything more and I will just use the 500gr bullets and forget the smaller bullet.

Experience and suggestions welcome��

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could replace the complete CZ sight with an aftermarket front ramp type sight that has a higher base. Or...aim low? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Know anyone with a replacement...I couldn't find one.

Aim Low....actually if I can't find a good solution and the 4" is the highest point of rise then I will probably live with it. It probably would be dead on at 170 yards.

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Experience and suggestions welcome...

Hey .44, Is there a reason you have not "filed" the notch a bit deeper in the rear sight?

I'm not familiar at all with your firearm, but I have a lot of experience from way back when "Irons" were the norm. It might be that your firearm maker intentionally cut the rear sight "groove or V or slot" High so you could regulate the sight for the specific Load you intend to use.

If you do decide to take a File to it - GO SLOW! Then fire it a bit and re-file. Birchwood-Casey makes some excellent "Touch-Up Black" for the sights.

If you are not sure about the distance you do want to Regulate the Sights for "Dead On", the guys over on the African Board would probably be able to give you some good insight.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have two simple options, get a higher by just a tad front sight or take a V file and very carefully file the rear V just a slight amount to zero the gun...Do this with your chosedn hunting load and forget the other stuff, that isn't going to work with your particular rifle...thats too much of a difference, not uncommon with a lot of guns.

Posts: 42165 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears from your posts that POI is closer to POA as you increase the load. Have you tried any 500 grain bullets?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Is the barrel free floated? A gun stock that puts upward pressure on the barrel at the forearm tip may shoot high.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Agree with Clark. Modify the frontsihgt,litle higher and 2mm wide.This is the easiest way.Y can have few f-sihgts of different heights if and when Y change load/ammo/bullet.
Im sure this helps,4" is not big,ok in hunting.
I have also the CZ 550 in 375HH,and I dont either use scope on it.
Anyway start with the F-sight,the filing of rears must be made wey care and skillfully,all three blades..
I recommend..dont do that.

Elias

Posts: 45 | Location: Finland | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a round for some upcoming bear and boar hunts. I am afraid there is no way I am filing my sights since this would ruin them for my heavier loads.....

The barrel is bedded but it actually hits closer to point of aim since I bedded it.

The Lee reloading manual refers to barrel oscillation as a factor in problems of this sort. It definitely isn�t due to recoil effects since the recoil is less, than 500+ bullets, and the bullet is in the barrel for less time.

In reference to 500 grain bullets, ....500, 550 and 600 grain bullets all have a different point of impact but not as great as the 400gr.

I am going to try the sights at 50, 100, 150 and 200. If the impact is at it's highest at 100 yards and is no more than the 4" I will probably keep it as is. Since point blank on a bear or boar would be 0- to about 200yds.

If I decide to add metal to the front sight I�ll have to find one out of town. The local gunsmith didn't think he could add to the front sight. I may have to find someone else.