Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 Case Life
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted
Am wondering what kind of case life one gets out of a 30-30?

Does it tend to give you trouble as soon as say, a .308....or does it just keep on going like a .357?

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
badgerrr
Have you had trouble with 308 brass life. What rifle, what load, what brass?
Short brass life is usually an indication of too much pressure for the brass/rifle combo.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<reverenddan>
posted
Can't exactly say what kind of case life I get, but when I bought a thutty thutty 17 years ago I purchased @ 150 rounds of brass and eight or nine boxes of various loaded ammo at a yard sale.

Over the years I have shot most of the loaded ammo and been monkeying around with the brass and have to the best of my recollection, only thrown away five or six cases.

The 30/30 isn't a high pressure whiz-banger round so the brass should last a looooong time.

<Fuzz>
posted
The only time I lost any was when I didn't trim my brass. That was my falt not the brass's.
Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of cast lead bullets in 30-30 to full power, and cases seem to last forever. All I do is anneal the necks after each fifth loading and stretch hasn't been much of a problem. I usually load my cases with an old Lyman 310 tong tool and only full length size on the fifth loading. The 30-30 is my all round fun and truck gun. BTW, those cast bullet loads kill deer just a dead as jacketed bullets.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote