Find
Notify
Tools

PRVI brass experiences?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm running out of patience waiting for the Hornady 9.3X62 brass, and Grafs has the PRVI for $46 per 100. My only other experience with PRVI was with some 7.5 Swiss, and I had trouble seating some of the primers in it. Anyone else have good or bad experiences with this brass?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reload half a dozen calibres and the Prvi stuff is pretty good compared to the mainstream brass knocking around. I'd say it fits somewhere in between Remington and Winchester

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'd try some other brands of primers to maybe solve the problem with the brass which is troubling you. Despite a nominal common diameter of .210", for instance, there are clear variations in the diameters of various makes of large rifle primers. CCIs, for some reason, often seem to run the largest.

I use Prvi Partisan brass in a number of calibers (6.5x55, 7.5 Swiss, .270, 7.62x39, 7.62x54-R, 8x56-R, and others.) I have found it approximately equal to my Norma brass in quality, but heavier & harder, so I prefer the Prvi stuff.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
My 9.3X62 PRVI has lasted better than Norma in the same rifle-- surprised me!

So, I bought some more from Graf.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornAll good so far! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot and reloaded one case (9,3x62) until I split the caseneck. Stuff just lasted eighteen reloads, so a measly nineteen times.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
PRVI it shall be. Thanks fellas!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use it in 8x60S as it is either Privi or no longer made (as empty cases) RWS.

I'd agree with the reluctance of some primers to seat. So I used the RCBS primer pocket swage on all of mine!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I expand PPU/Priv Partizan 8mm Mauser cases to 9,3x57 with good results. flame diggin

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only experience is with PRVI 7.62x25 Tok pistol brass...and that is a very hot rod, bottle-necked cartridge...it seems to last forever. I would rate it excellent.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some for my 308 years ago. Didn't like it at first cause it was really heavy, thick brass. Also the headspace was excessive for my gun so I had to resize virgin brass to make it chamber.
Once I got used to it and found some loads using 1-1.5 fewer grains powder I started to like it. For one thing the thick necks work really great with a lee collet die....doesn't take much effort to push the thick brass against the mandrel. It does seem to be lasting a long time too. Some reloads (and some have been hot) are on the 8th load with no signs of being done. Using the lee collet + occasional redding body die have yeilded exc runnout and good accuracy. Last time at the range my fav 308 loads went under 2" at 350 yds.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree very much with Idaho Sharpshooter.

I have been very happy with the Prvi 9,3x62 and 8x60 brass (I pick up a bag of the 8x60 and 9,3x62 every few months; you never know...).
Their 5.56, 7.62x39, .308, etc. will be thick and strong because much of that ends up loaded for militaries, para-paramilitaries, war-lords, drug-lords, etc.

Spin Prvi brass for runnout if you are planning to load for accuracy. At the very least it will make good ball ammunition (do not forget your brass catcher!).

LD

PS I use a Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniforming tool in all of my rifle primer pockets. I chuck it up (with the available holding accessory) in a cordless drill. That helps more often than not. If the pocket is too large, then follow Alberta Canuck's advice and try primers with a wider diameter. There was a comparison of primer sizes posted on www.6mmbr.com a month or two ago. The next time I find it, I will post it as a reference link either here, or in gunsmithing.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of you are probably shooting Prvi brass and don't even know it. They also make brass for several other headstamps.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote