Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum primers for light loads using SR 4759
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I am interested in light loading for my .243, 30-30, and 30-06 and have been given conflicting information about what type of powder to use. Some have said flake powder, e.g. Blue Dot, ignites easier than other types of powder. Another suggested using SR 4759 for light loads because it ignites more consistently than a lot of other powders, but I bought some and found that SR 4759 is cylindrical and not flake or ball. Which powder is better for light loads? Would using a magnum primers (since they "throw more flame") be better with light recoil and subsonic loads because they would ignite the low volumes of powder better? (You could then adjust the powder charge down as needed to produce the round you desire).

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR 4759 and Blue Dot work well in reduced load applications. Neither is "hard to light". There's no reason to use magnum primers with either powder. In some cases, magnum primers increase pressure. By definition, reduced loads are low velocity and usually a lower pressure.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Red welcome..

I do a lot of reloading using both of those powders..

normally I wouldn't recommend using Magnum primers..

but since the availability of primers is pretty sketchy around the country, sometimes you just have to shoot what you can get ahold of...

The nice thing about Blue Dot and SR 4759 is that both will ignite pretty easily and usually are not overly position sensitive....

In a 308 or 30/06 sized case, in a pinch large pistol primers will work just fine...at least in my experiences...

it would help if you included a few more details of what you are doing in your question...

you elude to subsonic loads.. is that your intended result? if so, what caliber and what bullet weight are you trying to accomplish this with....

a powder more along the lines of Unique or 700X or 800 X might fit your application a little better if you are trying for subsonic velocities...or Red Dot or Green Dot..

Reduced loads are not always lower pressure loads.. particularly if you are looking for efficiency and accuracy...

Blue Dot and SR 4759 are better powders for those that are looking at standard deer rifle calibers with a velocity between 1500 and 2400 fps...in most instances...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Seafire2,
Your info was particularly helpful. I'm loading light loads for my .243, 30-30, 30-06 and possibly my .257 Wby magnum. My desire is to produce loads with velocities as low as possible and still maintain tight groups. I want, mainly, lower report as I am shooting at gravel pits close to homes. I use jacketed bullets. I am also looking for an inexpensive load so I can shoot a lot and also let my grandson and wife shoot higher caliber rifles (both shy away from recoil). We're mainly punching holes in paper.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red C.:

and also let my grandson and wife shoot higher caliber rifles (both shy away from recoil).

QUOTE]

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs you will need to have absolute certainty in your reloading procedures to ensure that you do not double charge any case. It would fit and might well still be below a level that is immediately visible.

I have loaded red dot and SR 4759 loads for my son. I was very very careful indeed.

H4895 is touted by Hodgden who will give youth load data if you mail them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Red C: Some good info has been given here. A couple of points to reiterate:

SR4759 is not a low pressure powder - a look at reloading date in IMR's Reloading Guide will show that it operates at pressures similar to other powders. From what I can gather, the duration of it pressure peak is smaller, which results is its lower velocities and, consequently, lower recoils.

SR4759 has an advantage in that it is more difficult to double charge a case with any reasonable loading. Not impossible, just more difficult. A .243 case holds roughly 39 grains of SR4759, if my memory serves me correctly. My current favorite load for 80 grain bullets in a .243 with SR4759 is 23 grains. Consequently, double charging is not a possibility in my case. The same load (23 grains) has also worked well for me with lighter bullets in a 7mm-08. And I have also had good results using SR4759 in a .358 winchester. All of these loadings have shown good accuracy with a noticeable reduction in recoil - they are simply pleasant shooting loads.

Lastly, published loading data is available for several chamberings with SR4759, which is always a plus. Note that older editions of IMR's reloading data book sometimes contain data that, for some reason, is not shown in the newer guides.

Hodgdon's youth data, using H4895 is available online:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php

I personally haven't had much success with it, but then I haven't tried it that much.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon Trail Boss, and Accurate Arms 5744 are both good powders for reduced loads in your cartridges. Speer load manual lists reduced loads as does the Accurate manual.

A quick glance at Hodgdons online data for the 30-30 indicates a 160gr cast bullet at less than 1200fps using Trail Boss. You should be able to work up a similar load using a jacketed bullet.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I still believe H 4895 for reduced loads, is fine, IF you are not concerned about accuracy...

as for accuracy, it is hit or miss..

many other powders offer better performance...

I did not mention TRAIL BOSS like Mentioned about by onefunzr2...

If have worked with this powder and highly recommend it... it if not as accurate as Blue Dot loads, but one thing it really has going for it.. ITS IDIOT PROOF!!!!

It would be my recommendation for subsonic loads...and double charging a case wouldn't be a concern....it is so bulky, to use an example...a 30/30 case will only hold about 9 or 10 grains of it to the max...it looks like oatmeal....

A container that can hold 2lbs of powders like BLC 2 will only hold about 11 ounces of Trail Boss... they can't even get a pound of it into a regular container...

Large or small pistol primers are more than adequate to ignite it..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote