New
Find
Notify
Tools

seating depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been loading some loads for a 243.I have some that shoot really good.But they must not be seated deep enough.The bolt takes a little more effort to close.How far should I seat them deeper?I dont want to go too far and have to start over.I have time to load but since I cant shoot at my house my shooting time is limited

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You seem to imply, that the harder chambering is caused by the bullet seated into the lands. Are you sure this is the case, or is it possible, that the harder chambering is caused by your brass gradually growing larger and larger (which it can and will, depending on sizing method or setup of your sizing die).

So, how do you size your brass?? Do you neck size, or do you use a FL sizing die, and how do you set this up??

How many times have your cases been fired?? I gather from your post, that the rounds seemed to chamber more easily when you initially started on your reloading venture.

How did you initially determine which seating depth of the bullets you wanted to use?? Were you deliberately trying to stay off or in the lands??

IMHO; you need at least (a device) to establish max cartridge length (or minimal seating depth, if you like) to KNOW how far off the lands you are. Secondly, IMHO, you need (a device) to measure the head-shoulder dimensions on your fired vs. sized cases. As a very minimum, you need to get your FL sizing dies set up for "partial full length" sizing, which will most likely solve your chambering problem. IMO, this requires the tool to measure the head-shoulder dimensions, but some posters here disagree on that. In any event, use the search function and look for posts on "partial full length sizing".

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some other loads that chamber without any problems.All the cases were fired once from this gun.I checked the length of the brass before loading.All were within max length.

I just looked at the manual for the col.Started there and gradually went longer.Is this a beginner mistake?

I only have a FL sizing die.I set it up just like the manual says to do.I will be getting a partial length sizing die.I also want to get a tool to measure chamber dimensions.And all the other toys that I need.Funds are limited right now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you believe the bolt is difficult to close due to the bullet being jammed into the lands, then you can easily see if this is the case by removing an unfired cartridge and checking the bullet for engraving marks. If this is your problem, then solve it by simply seating your bullets progressively deeper until the contact with the rifling ceases.

You may want to use a powderless dummy for this purpose. It is easy to see any rifling contact by smoking the bullet slightly with a candle.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may want to use a powderless dummy for this purpose. It is easy to see any rifling contact by smoking the bullet slightly with a candle.

This is probably the way I should go.I dont want to chamber live rounds in the house.Going outside isnt an option where I live.Thanks for the sugestion

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could get some help by assembling the dummy and then coloring with a marker the bullet; it will be easier to see if there is any contact with the lands.

Eeker OOOPS! I didn't read Stonecreek's post 'till the end; of course smoking the bullet it's a good trick...

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdmike:
I have some other loads that chamber without any problems.All the cases were fired once from this gun.I checked the length of the brass before loading.All were within max length.

I just looked at the manual for the col.Started there and gradually went longer.Is this a beginner mistake?

I only have a FL sizing die.I set it up just like the manual says to do.I will be getting a partial length sizing die.I also want to get a tool to measure chamber dimensions.And all the other toys that I need.Funds are limited right now.

No such thing as a "partial length sizing die". Partial full length (PFL) sizing is done with a regular FL sizing die, adjusted to match the sized case head-shoulder dimension to the headspace of your rifle. It ensures that,
1) cases chamber easily
2) cases do not grow more than necessary through firing and sizing
3) often gives good accuracy - as the cases "fit" the chamber well.

AR member "Hot Core" is one of the major proponents of the PFL in here. He does good descriptions of how to set up your die for this type of operation. Read THIS AR thread (scroll down a bit) for his description.

The other posters have described way in which you can establish max col. I usually use a gizmo to do so:

Stoney Point Tool

You'll also need the "modified" case for your caliber - .243 Win right??

.243 Win Modified Case

It is of course possible, that if you kept increasing col, that eventually you seated bullets out far enough to hit the lands. Either the methods mentioned above, or the Stoney Point tool will tell you more about this.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No such thing as a "partial length sizing die".

I meant to say a neck sizing die.Oops
And yes...it is a 243 win that I am loading for.

Thanks to all who replied

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
I have done the lamp black, magic marker thing. Recently I took a different approach. I use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel. I make a cut the length of the neck. I then lightly "pinch" the neck to provide some tension. I seat a bullet by hand into the case. Gently, I chamber the round, then extract it. The bullet is has been pushed back by the lands so it is just touching. Take a micrometer and measure the total length. Make a note of it somewhere, including the bullet make, lot number, brass info, including if the brass if virgin, once fired, etc.

It is now a very simple process to setup the seating die. You keep advancing to acheive the bullet depth (distance from the lands).

By the way, you don't need any fancy equipment to measure the brass, just a decent micrometer.