New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: IMR 4350 Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There have been about 6 gazillion animals shot with IMR-4350 powered loads over a period of several decades. Nobody had "sensitivity" issues until lately. It's still a great powder, for me it's the goto powder for 338 Win mag and others. Enjoy the great accuracy and go make the total 6 gazillion 1.............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB - The ONLY time I've ever had a problem with powder and temperature was from firing enough rounds to get a barrel really hot and then leaving a round chambered and ready to fire for several minutes. Who knows what sort of temperature increase the powder was subjected to. But I'm sure it was plenty substantial. When I finally did fire that round, it blew the primer.

By the way, the powder was IMR4895.

Personally I don't much see a guy getting any SERIOUS reaction with normal climatic temperature changes, unless he is reloading at Anchorage in winter and hunting in Africa during the peak of summer.

Most of us live in a pretty temperate world and our powders will likely never be subjected to over 20 or 30 ' change.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thanks for all of the responses. I completely lucked out on this load, though I have been getting around to reloading for years. I just had all of those weekly procrastinator meetings I had to attend .

Anyway, I've had some reloading manuals around for a long time, and often read them. So when it came time to put together a load for this rifle, I knew what I wanted to do. I completely lucked out, this was the second load I tried, and the rifle just loves it. So I wasn't wanting to change it. It does everything I want it to.

Then this guy, well meaning I'm sure, ( ) tells me that this powder is temperature sensitive, and I was thinking I was going to have to start all over. Well you have set my fears to rest

Thanks,

Joel Babcock

one of us
posted Hide Post
JB, The guy that told you that probably still gets "excited" when he opens his mail box and finds this months copy of the popular gun rags in there!!!! Wish I could get paid to write drivel!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

JB
I used IMR 4350 for over 20 years and its a good powder..One thing I found with the IMR series is that it was not as consistent from lot to lot as the Hodgdon powder...As far as being sensitive to temp. changes, yes it is, a little,

I have used IMR 4350 since 1953 and have never had a problem with it. As to IMR powders lot to lot variance it's possible that it happens. I have found the opposite to be true and that IMR powders have been the most consistant for me. This goes for IMR's loading data as well. I have had over pressure problems from Hodgdon data and Accurate Arms data.

As to Hodgdon's so called "Extreme" temperature stability I would like to see some proof of it. Until then I avoid Hodgdon products. They are just a dealer anyway.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 has been one of my go to powders for a long time. I have never found it to be any more temperature sensitive than any other powder out there. Many of my rifles shoot their best groups with IMR 4350

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

These loads aren't max loads at all. I'm more interested in hunting accuracy. I'm just curious if I was hunting in 30 degree weather if it would effect the point of impact that much.

Yes, it would change your point of impact. Just as a change in humidity, barometric pressure, elevation above sea level or wind will change it. Will it change more or less than another brand? I doubt it.

As for the IMR powders being more sensitive or less than any other powder, I have never seen any proof. Too much game has fallen and too many matches have been won using IMR. The same can be said for most all the other powders available to the individual on the market today.

I have been using IMR 4350 for a long time. Better than 20 years. I have never even heard this drivel before. I think some one is having fun at your expense.

Pete