New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm08 youth loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My daughters new load is 35.6 grains of h4895 and 120 grain ballistic tips .this load should be traveling around 2600 fps .how do you think this combo will perform on whitetails under a 150 yards .Any other bullet or load combos would be appreciated.

Thanks

Woodie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For practice, my wife's Model 7 with a 18" tube gets 2150fps with a Remington 140gr. bulk Core-Lokt and 24.0gr. of SR4759. Kicks enough to let you know you are shooting a real rifle, but not enough that you can't put 40rds downrange in one practice session. Recoil figures out to be about 8 lb-ft.

Hunting load consists of 40.0gr. IMR4895 and a 140gr. Nosler Partition for 2550fps. Recoil is about 13.5 lb-ft. The load was originally worked up as a 200yd deer load, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it further. My daughter used it to center punch a 400lb cow elk at 180 yards and got complete penetration with all three shots. No bullets, except for some lead fragments, were found. Went down with the first shot, and second two prevented it from getting back up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodie

At 2,600 FPS muzzle velocity a 120Grn bullet would still be pushing 1,431 Ft Lbs of energy at 150 Yds. That should be plenty for whitetails, however........

The Nosler fith edition says that the minimum charge of H4895 for a 120 BT is 38.5Grns. At 35.6Grns, you're almost 3 grns under the minimum load.

Now I'm no expert but I've read on this and other forums about secandary discharges being caused by too light a load. Have you shot this load yet?

I have no idea what "too light a load" is. Maybe someone else can shed some light on extremely light loads and secondary discharges.

If you don't get a response on to this question on this thread, I suggest you post the question as another thread. You certianly don't want to take any chances!!!

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodie:
My daughters new load is 35.6 grains of h4895 and 120 grain ballistic tips .this load should be traveling around 2600 fps .how do you think this combo will perform on whitetails under a 150 yards .Any other bullet or load combos would be appreciated.

How small is your daughter? My wife weighs 97 and she loves shooting my 7mm08 with full loads. I do have pad on it to soften it a little. You may be better off having the stock cut down and a decelerator added and then load a couple grains below max. That should work fine.

Good Luck

Thanks

Woodie

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by First Shot:

The Nosler fith edition says that the minimum charge of H4895 for a 120 BT is 38.5Grns. At 35.6Grns, you're almost 3 grns under the minimum load.

Actually Hodgdon say that you can get good ballistic uniformity at load levels as low as 3/5 of maximum in an old manual. That would be 26 gr. They actually list the 35.6gr load as acceptable in their section for youth loads.