THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need Plinking load .32cal 71gr. in .303 & 7.65

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Plinking load .32cal 71gr. in .303 & 7.65
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up some .312 32 cal pistol bullets. I remember some time back reading some posts about plinking loads with these 71gr. jacketed bullets in the .303 and the 7.65X54 Argenitne. Does anyone have any data? Do you need to use a filler? I have someones data on a gallery round with 91 gr bullets with 3.2 gr of Bullseye, getting 910 fps. I could load up 3.4 gr and give it a go. Thanks in advance. JB

Posts: 104 | Location: Roanoke, VA , USA | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Your idea will work, but with several provisos:
1. ALWAYS settle the powder to the back of the case, against the flash-hole, in order to get consistent ignition and ballistics;
2. Use Large PISTOL primers: dimensional problems eventually develop with the cases if rifle primers are used;
3. Do NOT use a filler. If it seems absolutely necessary, a tiny piece of split tissue paper (such as {unused} toilet paper) can be used to hold the powder in position, but this is not a very good way to do things.
4. If you want to use more Bulleye, a few more grains, it can be done, but stay alert, keep an eye on the primers....

Paladin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Red Dot for this stuff. It is much fluffier for weight and fills a case better. Six grains would be a good place to start.

I have been told that magnum primers go a long way toward eliminating powder orientation problems but cannot speak from experience on that.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Correct, but--- Magnum PISTOL primers. The rifle primers have too much force.

Well, having said that, I really should amend to say this caution about rifle primers applies to rimless cases which headspace on their shoulders. I think it far less important for rimmed cases such as the .303 British.

Paladin