New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sellier & Bellot brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I can buy S&B boxer primed loaded ammo for my 6.5x55 for around $100 per 200. Lapua brass is $40 per 100. I like the Lapua, but I load for hunting and "bottle busting" and wonder how good the S&B is. What is your opinion? thanks capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
forget it !

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is nearly the same price situation for me with S&B 7.62x54R ammo and Lapua 7.62x53R brass.

The ammo shoots accurately.
The primer pockets must not be per SAAMI specs, and require uniforming.
The reloaded ammo does not shoot so well.
The Lapua brass is great.
I will not buy the S&B ammo again.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I would buy the Lapua brass if I were you - it seems a lot higher quality than the S&B ammo. I bought 100 rounds of loaded 7.62x54R S&B ammo and the brass stretches worse than anything I have ever seen. It was not very accurate in my rifles and the primer pockets are too shallow. I don't know if that will be a problem with the 6.5x55mm though.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David, Sorry I can't help you with your dilemma, but I do have a question for you, if you don't mind. Where are you getting your potetial S&B brass from? I shoot a 6X50R Bellm, an improved/necked up 5.6X50R. The only drawback has been brass availability. Hirtenberger is the only brass I've bought and it came from Huntington's. I was disappointed in the quality and now thhe price has jumped up. Wish I could find some RWS, either new or once shot.... Sorry to hear the other guys have not been impressed w/ their S&B brass. Wish Lapua made 5.6X50R brass... Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote