Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single stage or Turret???
 Login/Join

posted
I am wanting to upgrade to a heavier press than my Lee Turret. I like the Lyman and RCBS (Rock Chucker) single stage presses but like the convenience of the turret to rapidly switch between dies.
Any thoughts on accuracy of the heavy turrets by RCBS, Lyman, Redding? Any drawbacks to these turrets over the single stage presses?
TIA
JM

Posts: 17 | Location: Western Indyanner | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman T-Mag II turret press, but in my opinion, Redding's T-7 press is the most solid turret press available. The turret holds 7 dies.

You use turret presses much like a single-stage one. The difference is that you don't have to remove the dies once they are installed and locked in place.

[ 01-09-2003, 08:07: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turret presses are more "flexy" than O-frame presses. They have to be, they aren't solid iron.

Are they flexy enough to make a difference? Unless you're trying to make benchrest quality ammo, or do a lot of case forming, then probably not.

I have both a Lyman T-Mag and a Rock Chucker. I use the RC to form brass, and the T-Mag for general loading duties.

The Redding T-7 does look to be Hell-for-stout compared to the T-Mag though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you use the turrent as a quick way to change dies, IMO the best way to go is a Forster/Bonanza CoAx. It provides the quickest die changes, brute strength, and utmost precission. Some of the other die manufacturers' lock rings work with the CoAx, but I have found that at less than $3 each it is worth using the Forster lock rings. They are much cheaper than buying a turrent for every 2 or 3 calibers. The initial cost of the CoAx is more, but you will never regret it.

Posts: 63 | Location: Creighton, Nebraska | Registered: 19 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If forming brass, or full-length sizing brass fired in a "generous" chamber, I would stick with a single station "O" frame press. But for neck-sizing and bullet seating, the turrent press IS very handy and fully adequate.

I don't think that there's any question that the Redding is the stoutest, but if you follow my advice and keep an "O" frame for the heavy work, then the less expensive Lyman T-Mag II (which has the advantage of placing the handle for left or right hand use) should serve you well.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Marty Singer>
posted
I have a Lyman T-Mag II. The turret does have some noticeable play/flex, and the fit of the ram to the press body is not a close fit like the Rock Cucker that I used to have. I am not sure if this makes any real world difference in my reloads as I don't do any "extremely" precise loading, but it does annoy the anal side one me. I am not very impressed with the T-Mag II's workmanship. It certainly isn't up to RCBS or Redding standards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moofsa - check your private messages

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Penrod72, check private messages.

Posts: 17 | Location: Western Indyanner | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top:
Since you use the turrent as a quick way to change dies, IMO the best way to go is a Forster/Bonanza CoAx. It provides the quickest die changes, brute strength, and utmost precission. Some of the other die manufacturers' lock rings work with the CoAx, but I have found that at less than $3 each it is worth using the Forster lock rings. They are much cheaper than buying a turrent for every 2 or 3 calibers. The initial cost of the CoAx is more, but you will never regret it.

Mega dittos on the co-ax!!! I had a T-mag, then traded into a co-ax. I quickly sold the T-mag, and have never missed having a turret press.

The co-ax provides the die change speed of a turret, actually faster when you factor how long it takes to swap turret heads, and you also get the best single stage press made.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the T-7. You will notice that the support at the back of the turret will prevent up/down movement.

My T-Mag II has a small adjustable bolt at the back to take care of the slack, but that's not enough to prevent "some" movement.

web page: Redding

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I solved this problem was purchasing a Hornady Lock-N-Load conversion bushing for my RCBS Rock Chucker. This ($10 in your Midway catalog) conversion lets you keep the sturdiness of an O-frame press while giving you the speed of a turret press when changing dies. (1/4 twist and the die is out. Another 1/4 twist and the new die is in)
The corresponding die bushings cost about $3 a-piece, which is the same price as the Forester lock rings. However, this setup costs less than a Forester or Redding press and you get the reliability and customer service of an RCBS.

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote