New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Choices
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This will probably be a long post but hopefully it will be explained/asked fully.

I've been reloading for my .264 win mag and have come up with the powders loads I'd like to use. I'm now down to bullet choices. I plan on using this rifle for antelope, mule deer and elk fall and, in the future, MAYBE moose, caribou and whitetail.

I'd originally planned to use 120 grain ballistic tips on antelope and 140 grain partitions on everything else. I've now decided to stay with 140's for everything. I've considered using the Hornady 140 grain SST when it comes out in a few months on antelope and partitions on everything else but now would like to stay with one bullet for everything. I'd settled on the partition figuring it was a tad heavy for antelope and, maybe on big bulls, a bit light for elk/moose but capable of taking all of what I may hunt.

I still want to make sure I cover all my options, though. I'd like to hear feedback on using Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Swift A-Frames, Barnes-x and Nosler Partitions. From what I can tell all but the partitions could be too heavily contructed for antelope or whitetail but perfect for the other game.

I'd really like to stay with one bullet/load for everything and I'm still leaning to the partition. Some have said that may be bit light for big bull elk or moose, especially since I like to shoot for the shoulder.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents worth.....in the 264 mag. the Partition would be the best choice for a "one bullet" rifle, hands down. The forward section of the Partition will expand rapidly at 264 mag velocities, and the rear section will continue to drive thru. The Partitions are very accurate, and have a good BC for their construction. That being said, the SST is also an outstanding general purpose bullet. It will have a higher BC for longer range shooting, but if you're hunting the bigger stuff with the 264, you need to restrict your range a bit...and stick with the Partitions. Good luck. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
If your rifle is long throated like most 6,5*55 they realy like hevy bullet.
The 264w:s speed creates a need for premium bullets, i�ll think 156g Norma oryx(bonded) would be a good option for elk/moose.

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree that the partition is the best choice if you want a bullet that will do it all. With the lighter bullets/construction you have a limit as to what game they are best suited for. One might be good for antelope but marginal for elk. The partition is a good strong bullet, so I would choose it if you plan on hunting elk-it will do all that you are asking of it.
Mark

P.S. I noticed you are from Parker. I lived there from 1983-1998. Lived in the Pinery. That town has sure grown in the last 6 years.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 140 Partition for everything from coyotes to bull elk. Its front portion is very quick expanding, especially at magnum speeds, while its rear portion, in true Nosler fashion, bores through. It's typical on deer-sized game to find a large wound cavity beginning on the near side and a small exit hole on the off-side where the bullet-diameter rear section bored through.

It is a truly versatile bullet and gives me the best accuracy of any I've tried. Also, any advantage of any other bullet in ballistic coefficient is mostly just theory. The Nosler Partition is very flat-shooting.

If it shoots well in your gun, just forget all the others.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might see if your rifle will shoot the 130 or 140 X bullets. I have had good results with those in the .264. That said I have seen a truckload of game taken with the 140 Noslers and they work very well always!! I am going to try the Scirrocco's this year sometime if I can lay my hands on some.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. From the replies, it looks like I'm on the right path.

Thanks!

<Savage 99>
posted
Go with the Nosler Partitions of course but you need a bullet to practice with. I sight in the Partitions at what ever long range you can like 200 yards or more and then shoot some loads with the cheaper bullets. Pick the one that hits near the Partitions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition to what Savage 99 suggested l do the following:

I use a Nosler Partition for everything in a 270 and for developing a good load l looked for a cheap bullet which has the closest BC and SD to the Partition. This turned out to be a Speer and once l found a good load l fine tuned it with the Partition.

It worked out okay and just something else for you to consider.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using Sierra's that have a BC of .496 while the Nosler's have a BC of .490. I haven't fired the Nosler's yet but plan to this weekend.

Thanks!

<eldeguello>
posted
parshal, I've had very good luck in several different calibers using Sierras of the same weight in practice loads, substituting the Nosler in the hunting ammo. Point of impact has usually been the same, with very few exceptions.