New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Ruger Reloading Problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having a couple of kinds of trouble.
I have Full Length RCBS dies and am using Hornady brass with Barnes X 270s and Hornady 235s. (Powder not relevant to problems.)

Let me say I have been reloading for 40 years without problems.

I resize and check for case length less than 2.60 and chamfer the case mouth.
The empty cases chamber just fine.
Then I set bullet seating with cartridge OAL to 3.315 with the 235g Hornadys.
Many of the reloaded cartridges will not chamber.
A number of the case necks are "rolling" back into the case. (I am wondering if I have very soft cases)
With the Barnes-Xs, I don't see the case neck problem, but 4 of 5 loaded cartridges will not chamber. I set bullet seating with cartridge OAL to 3.325 with the 270g Barnes.

Additional comment: Factory loads work perfectly.
Any thoughts?

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Are you 100% positive your seating die is not crimping?

Try measuring your expanding ball to see if it is undersized. If you are forcing the bullets into the case neck with to much pressure it might cause the case to be distorted.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Back off your seating die a thread or 2 then turn down the seating plug to get your OAL.
I would bet you are over-crimping and bulging out the shoulder. I've done the same thing with 300RUM reloads.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
I agree! You die is screwed to far in. Your over crimping and bulging the shoulder. That is why I use the Lee factory crimp die after seating bullets. It don't bulge the necks.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You all were right.
Today I made the adjustments and loaded up 10 rounds. All chamber properly.
Thanks.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote