New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62 vs. .308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK guys reloading 7.62 vs. .308!! Have a bunch of pulled FN (NATO) 7.62 brass that I'm thinking of reloading. Will trim to length and FL resize (Berden primer so one shot who cares was CHEAP)NOW here is the BIGGY can I load my normal 44 gr of Varget under my 175 SMK or should I reduce the load ?? If I should reduce by how much 10% or ???. I've got a LOT of this brass and might as well use it up!!

Sarge

I was a soldier * I am a soldier * I will always be a soldier
SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

Posts: 60 | Location: Southern Area 51 | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would sacrifice one case (you will soak the primer) and do a case capacity test with water to determine internal capacity. Based on the percent difference in the cases you normally use, reduce the powder charge based on that measurement.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case capacity seems to be 3.8cc of water each! This was as close a measurement as I could get.

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

Posts: 60 | Location: Southern Area 51 | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Try again with water. Fill both cases to the mouth and wgt them.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duh Ol Joe why didn't I think of that in the first place!
OK FN 246.5gr
Lapua 233.6gr

So a 12.9gr difference. Where do I go from here?

THANKS EVERYBODY!!

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarge, Generally speaking, if one wants to handload military brass, it's recomended that you reduce your charge by approximately 10% to compensate for the reduced case capacity caused by the thicker/ stronger military brass. In this case, if your load was 44 gr., then you would probably load around 39.6 gr. Obviously, you will want to start lower than that, and work up to it. But that's the general idea. I currently load 49 gr of IMR 4895 behine 165 gr. Sierra Gamekings.

Good luck in the loading.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'd better check and see if the primers are corrosive or not.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul B. They are not. Have fired a bunch of this through a M1A without problem I'm just now wanting to use up some of it in my bolt gun.
cndrm Thank You Sir a 10% drop was about what I had figured.

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
cndrm, Excuse me...49 grains or 39 grains of IMR 4895 with a 165??????? I would guess the latter.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guys loaded up a few starting at 40 grs of Varget and going to 44 grs. in 0.5 gr increments. Using the 175SMK. DAMN THIS STUFF SHOOTS!! had 2 loads that went sub MOA 40.5 and 43. and ALL loads were MOA. NOW this is from a GA Precision tactical rifle so didn't really expect much less! This is a great source of inexpensive brass, less than $60 for a 1,000 rounds, Berdan primed so shoot it and throw it and so far it shoots really well!

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello SargeRN,
With your previous activities, check around and find you some Lake City Match Brass for the 308. Check www.gibrass.com and he may be able to steer you in the right direction or check www.odcmp.com and they might have some available or know where to obtain it. Very fine brass, has a ring of serrations on the rear and stamped MATCH. You are getting close to perfection with that load you mentioned and with the LC Match, not a problem in reloading. Since you are using it in a bolt gun, life is outstanding of the brass if resized close to your chamber spec. Just a suggestion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Driver, know how well the LC Match shoots from MANY friends that have managed to get it and shoot it. Right now I'm sitting on about 750-800 rounds of this FN stuff. My "normal" brass is Lapua and it isn't showing any sign of "giving up" after about 7-8 reloads! Once I start having problems from the Lapua I'll then be in the market for fresh brass and will be looking for LC!
Thanks

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com