New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ways to measure Runout
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any other means to measure runout than a RCBS Case Master?

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Yes, from homemade jobs to almost all the manufacturers. Sinclair offers a couple as does NECO, which many believe is the Cadillac. I have a Sinclair that I'd sell.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, which would you recommend? Do you think the RCBS case master is accurate? Compared to the NECO. I tryed to find a picture of the Sinclair with no luck. Called about the NECO, wow, thats 151 dollars.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Roll the finished rounds over a mirror. Does not give numeric values but through observation you can tell the good rounds from the bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Roll the finished rounds over a mirror. Does not give numeric values but through observation you can tell the good rounds from the bad.

That is what I did. it worked ok, but people told me it couldn't work, so I went and got a Sinclair runout gage. it is worth every penny. Dont know if the neco is better/more accurate, but do you need more than .001"..!!?? I do know that the Neco will also measure wall thickness inside the brass by the head. that will give an indication of a caseseparation to come. but I dont load my cases more than about 6 times anyway..
I did a runout accuracy test (small one) 10 loads of .270 win 150grs Hornady SP, MRP powder. 5 good (straight. .001" or less and 5 bad ones. the good ones printed less than an inch ca. 0.7 the bad ones around 1,5 inches at 100m.
I now roll every hunting cartridge I intend to use on game.
(we dont have large amounts of varmints here so its not a big deal, were talking 50 rounds at a time)

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The Neco includes the dial indicator. Santa Claus brought me the new Sinclair, which is what I wanted for several reasons so obviously I prefer it. It has ball bearings to enable accurate spinning of the cartridge. I like that better. I'd love to have the Neco since it will measure other things as well but that's just too much money for something I'm still not sure is absolutely necessary.

Like all tools, they are as good as the guy using them. The RCBS and Forster both do a good job. The old Sinclair is a Vee block with everything machined. Just looks and feels nicer so I preferred that to both the RCBS and Forster and obviously I think they are better or I wouldn't have bought them. If you're looking for one you can have my old Sinclair for $60 including the dial indicator.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty kind of you to offer. But I went ahead and ordered the ball bearing version. Figured it was good enough for Bob338, its good enough for bigcountry.

thanks for advise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Sinclair, and it is a real pain to measure the runout of a 45acp cartridge.

It does not measure the neck thickness.

But I sure am glad I bought itSmiler

I tried to get a 1" group for years, and within months after buying the Sinclair, I have broken the 1/2" barrrier.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not putting down any of the case measuring tools as I have had no experience with any of them but the old "roll across the mirror" trick does work. I tested a batch of .30-06 loads with max charges of H4350 and the 165 gr. Hornady I-lock through my old pre-64 Model 70. The rounds with visible wobble averaged 1.1" groups and the rounds with no visible wobble averaged 0.7". Again it is not the best way to measure runout but it works in a pinch.