THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Just got a 300 Weatherby. Any advice for reloading it?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got a 300 Weatherby. Any advice for reloading it?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted
I just put a Howaby 300 Weatherby Magnumb on Layaway at Wally-World. Wasn't my first choice for a big Magnumb but it was marked down to $299. Just couldn't pass it up.

I have some experience handloading but not for big belted cases. From the manuals I have at home, I should be using slow powders like RL-22 or RL-25. I plan to neck size. I also won't be loading to the max unless it is for real, as opposed to blasting pop-cans and errant hard-drives.

I have Hornady 165gr BT, Hornady 180gr flat-based bullets and Sierra 200gr Game-King BT's on hand. These bullets aren't heavy enough for use on game. I'll be using these for fun and plinking only. For real I will be using Partitons and maybe Accubonds.

Any advice about loading for a 300 Weatherby Magnumb is appreciated. I am wondering if a magnum primer is called for. Some books call for a magnum primer, some don't.

Thanks in Advance
ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pick a load in a book that you like. the bullet weight and how fast you want it to go.Then shoot it and see if your rifle likes the load.
I shoot 180 gr swift ,scirocco and a-frame the load is for both 66 gr 4064 shoots well for me.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke--real hard to beat IMR 7828 for the 300 wby. Use magnum primers...preferably fed 215's.
What kind of brass are you going to use?? Weatherby brass is a little lighter than rem or hornady and has more case capacity. If you are using rem or hornady brass figure you might very well reach max loads about 2.5 grains below published maxes. I've been buying the hornady brass. It is very very uniform. Only problem is it is a little soft and won't give as many loadings as weatherby or remington. You should be able to pick it up in catalogues for about $25/50 which is a bargain compared to weatherby brass. Hornady 180 sprire points can be amazingly accurate. I just did a carribou/moose hunt with my 300 wby using northfork bonded bullets--they performed flawlessly and are very accurate. Swift a frames are another very good choice. Not sure I'm sold on ANY plastic tipped bullet at high velocity yet. You can get a good deal on nosler bullets through their proshop for blem bullets and that would also be a great place to shop.....check here...

http://www.shootersproshop.com/reloading.htm

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use Remington brass. It's less expensive and you won't be able to tell any significant difference in accuracy. I've always used Federal 215 or Remington 9 1/2 Magnum primers.

IMR 7828 gives max velocity -- using it you can get 3200+ f.p.s. with 180 grain bullets and 3000+ f.p.s. with 200 grain ones, and both of those are from a 24 inch barrel.

RL-22 gives better accuracy, with a slight sacrifice of velocity.

The most accurate bullet I found in my .300 Wby. rifle (a Remington 700) was the 200 grain Nosler Accubond.

Don't crowd the eyepiece of the scope when you shoot the rifle, or you'll get a wound from it!

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best loads came from RX25 and 180 gr. Sciroccos. IMR7828, 4831 and RX22 were all inferior in a AccuMark. Fed 215M primers, 3.6" OAL, forget the charge at the moment but it was slightly compressed. Thinking low 90 grain range but don't try that without verifying it with a manual, as this was 4-5 years back. Velocity in the 3150 fps range as I recall.

I also found a very accurate load for a Colt Sauer in that chambering, IMR4831 and 180 grain Sciroccos again. Very mild load though, velocity around 2900 fps.

Both of these loads were sub MOA out to 300 yards.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another bullet worth considering is the barnes tsx.They have proven to be very accurate in my ultramags and in several other rifles.They also have expanded very well and retain about 90% of their weight.You should easily reach 3200fps or more with less powder than you would use for most other bullets.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that your Howaby has only a 24" tube. I have one as well. The slow burning powders and heavy bullets don't work as well in it as in my Alaskan. I too couldn't pass up the 'bargain' I use 4350 +4064 and 165 gr. bullets. Makes a great deer rifle and is fun to shoot.I got a 300wsm at the same time.My dad has pretty much claimed it.Good luck, Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Just ordered dies, brass, odd & ends from Midway. Went ahead and got Weatherby brass. The other brands didn't rate very well. Neck sizing and moderate loads should help case life. I won't be loading heavy until I determine if a Decelerator is needed.

Awhile back I read in a inforag about a special sizing die made just for belted magnumbs. As I recall the die sized just up to the belt. Some sort of special body sizer. Anyone know about this?

quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
Another bullet worth considering is the barnes tsx.They have proven to be very accurate in my ultramags and in several other rifles.They also have expanded very well and retain about 90% of their weight.You should easily reach 3200fps or more with less powder than you would use for most other bullets.

Do the Barnes bullets leave heavy copper racing stripes in the bore as opposed to a Partiton or a Accubond?
The sticker price on Barnes is way high. Too high for me to practice on a regular basis. I might buy a box to see if they are as good as they say. The price may be worth it if accuracy is exceptional in my gun.
How bad is the copper fouling with the TSX?

Thanks guys!
ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Just ordered dies, brass, odd & ends from Midway. Went ahead and got Weatherby brass. The other brands didn't rate very well. Neck sizing and moderate loads should help case life. I won't be loading heavy until I determine if a Decelerator is needed.

Awhile back I read in a inforag about a special sizing die made just for belted magnumbs. As I recall the die sized just up to the belt. Some sort of special body sizer. Anyone know about this?

quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:

Do the Barnes bullets leave heavy copper racing stripes in the bore as opposed to a Partiton or a Accubond?
The sticker price on Barnes is way high. Too high for me to practice on a regular basis. I might buy a box to see if they are as good as they say. The price may be worth it if accuracy is exceptional in my gun.
How bad is the copper fouling with the TSX?

quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
Don't crowd the eyepiece of the scope when you shoot the rifle, or you'll get a wound from it!

I bought my first heavy kicker, a Buffalo Classic, a few months ago. I mounted a Nikon 4x on it and proceeded to try to shoot some of my heavy loads through it. I was abruptly introduced to my new Nikon scope rather rudely.
I won't make that mistake again with a heavy kicker.

Thanks guys!
ZM

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:

I bought my first heavy kicker, a Buffalo Classic, a few months ago. I mounted a Nikon 4x on it and proceeded to try to shoot some of my heavy loads through it. I was abruptly introduced to my new Nikon scope rather rudely.
I won't make that mistake again with a heavy kicker.

Thanks guys!
ZM

If you haven't yet purchased a scope for this rifle may I recommend the Leupold VX-3 in either 2-8 or 3.5-10 magnifications. Plenty of eye relief on those two. I have the 3.5-10x40 on my .300 Weatherby, a Winchester 70.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tsx bullets left no noticeable fouling in the barrels of my rifles,a huge difference from the original x bullets that fouled badly.
For a scope I would recommend the ziess conquest 3x9x40.It cost about the same as a leupold vxiii 3.5x10x40 but it is a brighter scope and has a constant 4" of eye relief.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35404:
Keep in mind that your Howaby has only a 24" tube. I have one as well. The slow burning powders and heavy bullets don't work as well in it as in my Alaskan. I too couldn't pass up the 'bargain' I use 4350 +4064 and 165 gr. bullets. Makes a great deer rifle and is fun to shoot.I got a 300wsm at the same time.My dad has pretty much claimed it.Good luck, Mark

I just braved my garage and dredged up a copy of Handloader #212.
Ken Waters retested the 300 Weatherby using a Howaby Mark V with a 24" tube similar to the one I have on layaway. He got pretty good results with H4831. I already have H4831 on hand and use it in my 270WCF. A couple more weeks of OT and a session of scope-robbing off one of my other guns and I'll be in business.

I think I'll focus on 180's and may try the Barnes bullets. This ougtha be fun. I have a defective hard drive that is begging to be ventilated.

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:

Ken Waters retested the 300 Weatherby using a Howaby Mark V with a 24" tube similar to the one I have on layaway. He got pretty good results with H4831.

I got pretty good results with H4831 too, but somewhat better ones with IMR 7828 and RL-22. But if you have H4831 on hand, it's an excellent powder to begin with.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote